Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

$400 + 5 Hours = New Project...

Old 07-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V8BRICK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: $400 + 5 Hours = New Project...

I remember doing a fmic on an S4 and that bumper sheetmetal was a pita to get out, but yeah it had to go to fit that big ass intercooler. Custom pipe routing sucks on those cars, absolutely no room for error.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

BIMMER 328 has disabled reputation

looks nice man. ever had it on a dyno
Old 07-23-2007, 12:27 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

so did you have to fab up the charge pipes and mounting brackets since the fmic wasn't a kit?
Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 AM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Carter
so did you have to fab up the charge pipes and mounting brackets since the fmic wasn't a kit?
Yeah we did all that ourselves, everything was custom basically.

BIMMER 328 - I plan on taking it up to NOVA sometime to get it an an AWD dyno - most of the Stage 2+ S4s with my similar setup are laying down around 290-310awhp. Im curious to see what it would do, but I may just wait till I go stage 3 and aim for 425-475awhp+.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:06 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Back when I was an adjuster I had an old lady who'd bought some riced out POS civic from one of our many area car lots. She liked how it looked and was upsed when she hit someone and I had to total the car. Well, there was no bumper beam and no absorber at all... nothing, so the car basically tried to split itself it 1/2.

FYI your mods are covered even withough an endoresement on your policy... it's the law. But they're only covered in the event of an accident. If they're stolen, and not on the policy, they're not covered. At least this is how it was 2 years ago when I was in the business, things may have changed.

Odd that there's 2 inlet and outlet pipes.... Jay'e VR4 is twin turbo but the charge pipes come together then go into the manifold, then the one pipe out goes to the intake manifold.
Old 07-24-2007, 05:22 AM
Capitalist Pig

Heiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the roughHeiss M3 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
Back when I was an adjuster I had an old lady who'd bought some riced out POS civic from one of our many area car lots. She liked how it looked and was upsed when she hit someone and I had to total the car. Well, there was no bumper beam and no absorber at all... nothing, so the car basically tried to split itself it 1/2.

FYI your mods are covered even withough an endoresement on your policy... it's the law. But they're only covered in the event of an accident. If they're stolen, and not on the policy, they're not covered. At least this is how it was 2 years ago when I was in the business, things may have changed.

Odd that there's 2 inlet and outlet pipes.... Jay'e VR4 is twin turbo but the charge pipes come together then go into the manifold, then the one pipe out goes to the intake manifold.
Yeah I know what you're saying about the bumper support - keep in mind that car was a Civic so its gonna split in half unfortunately heh. But anyways, I keep making this point: The bumper beam I took off the S4 - like one of the others spoke of as well - didnt look to give that much support and in fact the intercooler looks just as substantial, even though it will completely get crushed if I hit someone with it. Also, the entire engine bay and firewall of the car is like a tank so im not worried about any of that stuff ending up in the cab, unless I hit something doing 100mph - in that case even a bumper beam isnt going to help me.

Yeah all the S4s have 2 inlet and outlet pipes, the VR4 I guess has a somewhat different setup.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

96LsIntegra has disabled reputation

man thats nasty lookin, Nice
Old 08-02-2007, 08:11 PM
Capitalist Pig

Originally Posted by MK3 VRT
While on the subject of being safe I would be carefull with that mbc and giac software and not turn it up past what the chip will do
heh

Well we installed a throttle cut defender and cranked the boost up to 21-23psi...it feels good now, but bye-bye turbos.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Body In Trunk.

RCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond reputeRCR Roscoe has a reputation beyond repute

in defense of the cut out bumper cover, with those dual core IC's you have to make sure both halves get equal air exposure, otherwise one bank gets hotter air then the other. BAD! thats why whenever possible if im doing a front mount thats dual core i use ones that run vertical instead of horizontal. this way if the ic is shrouded at all both cores cool equally.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:20 AM
Registered Member

MK3 VRT has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Heiss M3
heh

Well we installed a throttle cut defender and cranked the boost up to 21-23psi...it feels good now, but bye-bye turbos.

LOL yeah your year does not really have turbo blowing problems as much if I recall correctly it was the couple years before yours. I bet it feels nice though I'm sure you've been up the mtn. once are twice

Quick Reply: $400 + 5 Hours = New Project...