Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

VMSC autox @ VMP, 11-23-03

Old 10-24-2003, 08:36 PM
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default VMSC autox @ VMP, 11-23-03

Hurry up and register. you can always cancel it. numbers go quickly.

i'm number #40

http://www.vmsc.org/prereg.html

Last edited by lightningd; 10-24-2003 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:30 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

well, if you didn't go, you missed a great course and a great day. the best part was something like a lane changing slalom at almost 70 mph.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:53 AM

Butt Dyno is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey - I think I was in grid next to you - Subaru with a big ass wing. Great times! I felt semi-good about my times and you killed me by 2 seconds The unpainted body kit = serious sleeper power...

That lane change was my favorite part of the course, esp. w/ the 24mm rear sway on for the first time. I never got out of 2nd gear tho. How long have you been doing this and what have you got done to the 'cord?

-john
Old 11-25-2003, 09:47 PM
co driver

yeah, i seen the subaru there. i tried not to stare at it too much next time, feel free to say whassup. it's always fun to take care of a few cars w/ 100-200 more hp as far as the body kit, that's coming off as soon as i fabricate a new CAI. it's too heavy and gives me about 2 in less room for cones on each side. Currently i use the air dam for intake induction.

the lane change part was pretty crazy. i set my car up for a lot of oversteer, which is harder to get at low speeds, but doing almost 70 makes things really sketchy.

i've been autoxing for a little over a year and a half now. the 'cord has eibach sportlines (holy soft rear springs batman!), koni yellows, and an ST rear sway bar. i also have victoracers on the rollers, and the custom intake, and a GReddy EVO exhaust.

this winter, i plan on putting on new front knuckles, bearings, rotors, and caliper brackets (mine are screwed), polyurethane bushings, rear discs (which i have collecting dust right now, and maybe some cheapo strut bars.

you going to be racing with VMSC next year?
Old 11-26-2003, 06:50 AM

Sorry I didn't say hi, I was feeling kinda antisocial (my stomach had been bothering me all weekend).

Yeah I don't know that I ever got quite comfortable w/ the lane change - I definitely was checking the tach which is something I pretty much never do otherwise. (I need a shift light!) Having seen that white Subaru hit the oil thing at the August event made me a little gunshy I think...

OK, I feel a little better about getting crushed knowing you have R-compounds But yeah, experience usually wins out in the end. Gotta get some more seat time. And like you I still have a lot of stuff planned.. right now it's turboback exhaust, 17's w RE040's, STi struts/springs/struttops, and the Cusco F/R sways. (and of course the spoiler) It's maybe 60% done?

Up in DC we have the SCCA events (at Fedex, nice lot) and the nonSCCA events (at various not so nice lots). So whenever there isn't something at Fedex and there's an event at VMP I will probably head down. I also did the NASA autox at Cloverleaf 11-15 and that was kinda cool, b/c Cloverleaf isn't perfectly flat so you get some neat camber changes.

-john
Old 11-26-2003, 08:37 AM
co driver

i don't think i ever got comfortable with it either, but on the last run, i just went balls out and trusted my instincts to take care of things. the thing to remember if you lose control is to remember what way you're going. once you lock up the brakes, you are going to continue going that way no matter what way you're facing. i've spun around quite a few times, and it's quite the experience.

yeah, the r-comps help a lot, especially in that high speed section. i never let off the gas untill the right turn before the left side cone wall.

next year i'll probably try to hit those Fedex events. normally i race with the ODR region here in tidewater, but those dates might be the same as the Honda Challenge road racing series, which i might go spectate, and maybe pit crew

yeah cloverleaf is pretty cool, especially when they use the two different sections to make a really large course. i've never raced at VIR, but i think cloverleaf can be called somewhat of a mini VIR due to the hilly layout.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:21 AM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lightningd

yeah, the r-comps help a lot, especially in that high speed section. i never let off the gas untill the right turn before the left side cone wall.

Chicken.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:16 AM

Yeah I've spun my car a couple times at autox (and twice not at autox ) and have a good feel for it. I went through the middle section without using the brakes, just a little bit of throttle lift before coming into the | | section to make the end come around.

If you do Fedex stuff you need to register EARLY for them... the events tend to fill up super fast, sometimes within 24 hrs of when registration opens. Prepared might not be as bad, I dunno.

I should really get off my ass and do a HPDE at VIR next year so my wing will actually be functional...

-john
Old 11-26-2003, 08:03 PM
co driver

Originally posted by maxQ
Chicken.
lol. so? if there wasn't a pole on the right, i would have tried it faster.

Originally posted by Butt Dyno
If you do Fedex stuff you need to register EARLY for them... the events tend to fill up super fast, sometimes within 24 hrs of when registration opens. Prepared might not be as bad, I dunno.

I should really get off my ass and do a HPDE at VIR next year so my wing will actually be functional...

-john
is registering different depending on what class you're in?

i'd kill to go to VIR. only if a smart computer HR person would hire me.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by lightningd
is registering different depending on what class you're in?

i'd kill to go to VIR. only if a smart computer HR person would hire me.
Registration is the same regardless, but your odds of getting a slot depend on what class you're in. Frinstance STS/STX has 50 slots combined and that is almost never open for more than 48 hrs before it's waitlist.

If you were a talented Java developer and you lived in NoVA I could help ya...

-john

Quick Reply: VMSC autox @ VMP, 11-23-03