Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross

Old 12-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point
Default Re: Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross

well my track wheels are to be honest not sure what rims but they are 15x7 with a 27x8.5x15 et drag slick but my weekend rims ive got two sets.one is a 16x8 work meister +10 with a 205/45/16 nitto neogen.tucked front and rear,was going to raise it up for autox for better handling to a little above the tire was thinking similar rim maybe not as low offset with a 225/50/16 Falken AZENIS RT-615K but was unsure and maybe haveto run it on either a 16x7 or 16x7.5 to make it work without rubbing.what do u think?

also im aware the hella flush was for apearence i cant get traction for the life of me,i had to go out on weekends with a lower offset and wider tires to think of hooking up
Old 12-27-2010, 12:31 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Raise it up enough to not rub anything and not be on the bump-stops. Really you shouldn't be adjusting height without cornerbalancing and alignment, but... worry about that later.

And yeah, don't run 205's on 16x8's for autocross. In fact if you can fit 15's on the car why run 16's at all? I think get the cheapest decent 15x7's you can find, and some 225 Azenis or whatever you find that's equally cheap (I prefer Dunlop Z1 Star Spec or Kumho XS, personally.)

IMHO, ymmv, etc.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered Member :)

eg6_bryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
A pro in a Miata wil beat a novice in a McLaren F1.
I would like to see that actually... :P
Old 12-27-2010, 08:49 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Done. I'll bring the pro and the Miata, you bring the novice and the McLaren F1. ;-)
Old 12-28-2010, 03:04 AM
Track Whore

Cmqqn85 has disabled reputation

ill try ^ lol!
Old 12-28-2010, 04:09 AM
Registered Member

D_Eclipse9916 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by getfast
Done. I'll bring the pro and the Miata, you bring the novice and the McLaren F1. ;-)
"...........I know the number for Skeen is around here somewhere....." hahah.

As said before, just go out there, make sure nothing breaks/is going to break and have fun. Youve got decades to actually worry about car prepping 100% (which is always impossible) in this sport, its not going away anytime soon. Sign up for the NASA-X event and request one of the instructors that will be there to go on a run or two with you.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 AM
Track Whore

Cmqqn85 has disabled reputation

yea deff just try it, you think alot differently when your done.. I know i did the first time i came out 2 years ago going off of someones "word" and i was blown away with how much fun i had, and thats also with being "off course" on half my runs!

dont over think the cars set up, there built to handle off the show room floor, some better than others of course, but you wont learn the limits of the vehicle if you never reach them. just drive it, hell run some shitty tires to start off with, you'll prob learn alot more that way on how your car ahndles and reacts
Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point Breaking Point

the car was corner balanced at each height its been at but will do again before a race lol.so a 15x7 with a 225 alright.them dunlops you run are they dot slicks or reg tires? and for alignment what kind of neg camber is best i was told by the guy i baught my supercharger from -1 to -2 is good enough more or less wouldnt be as good with even caster and toe set to 0.he stopped racing his supercharged prelude and now races his white ap2 s2000 guy named jeff if anyone knows him.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM
at the track today?

DOT tires aren't slicks (to be DOT tires they have to have some tread), and these aren't either of those anyway. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec Looks like they don't have a 225-50-15 though, just a 205, so I'd go that way. Alignment depends on the make/model/driver but on a BMW like I'm used to, that would be nowhere near enough camber.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 AM
at the track today?

Or these Kumho XS in 205/50-15 for $88ea + shipping: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....Model=Ecsta+XS

Quick Reply: Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross