VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/trying-get-into-auto-x-auto-cross-375303/)

Integra2Be 12-16-2010 03:58 PM

Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross

Hey guys, Im looking at getting into the auto cross/auto-x and was wondering when the new season started? Im located in the 757 and would like to start with some local events.
I have an all stock 98 Integra Ls and was wondering if there were any tips or pointers you guys could give to a beginer?
Im going to start by getting a good suspension setup. Im hoping to have it all setup before the new season starts. Thanks in advance for any info.

Madhatchz 12-16-2010 04:12 PM

Re: Trying to get into the auto-x/auto cross

I am a novice at auto cross, i have only done a hand full of events. My biggest regret is not starting out with a completely bone stock car, the few mods i have done to my s2k makes it a real hand full on the course. As far as when the new local season kicks up, i would imagen in the spring but dont know when the first event is. There is a thread in this section about an event at vmp (jan23) and it looks like a great course to get your feet wet. It seems very large and little to no cross over. That will make the course pretty easy to follow.

getfast 12-16-2010 06:54 PM

Just sign up for the first event you can. TSCC puts on great events in 757 but not sure when their next one is. Jan 23 @ VMP with NASA is the only one I know of currently on any schedules.

Don't worry about your suspension or anything else. It's ALL about the driver. So come drive. ;-)

Delta Charlie 12-16-2010 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by getfast (Post 6773434)
Don't worry about your suspension or anything else. It's ALL about the driver. So come drive. ;-)

Couldn't of said it better myself. Before you go to the event, make sure your car is in good order mechanically. (Wheel bearings, brakes, lugs, no leaks, etc)

Hope to see yah out there.

Beach Cruiser 12-17-2010 06:21 AM

Don't worry about the mods, come out with a bone stock car. If you've got money to throw at the car, look into a good set of tires. Some bald pep boys brand all seasons are not going to help you much. Also start researching the classes and rules before you think about mods, something simple could throw you into a highly competitive class where you don't want to be as a novice. First local events are usually in April, first and third Sunday of the month. Come on out and have fun!

RennZenn 12-21-2010 12:04 PM

Ditto on keeping things bone stock to start out. A good set of tires should be first on the list, but...the first autocross of the year is Jan 23, and good soft performance rubber is no good under about 40 degrees! Get in a couple AX's between now and mid March on whatever you've got, then get some tires for the rest of the year. BTW, if you're thinking of doing more than 10 events per year and driving to the events on the tires you run with, count on buying new tires every year.

sidewaysil80 12-21-2010 12:19 PM

where could i find a list of the classes and explanations. i took a break from drifting a couple years ago but i'm almost done with the new car and would like to try autocross. however, with all of the mods like someone mentioned above...i believe i would be in an advanced class as a novice :(

getfast 12-21-2010 12:21 PM

If you're a novice, your class is usually novice, regardless of your car or what's been modified. What that means and for how long it applies depends on the group you're running with.

sidewaysil80 12-21-2010 12:26 PM

yeah i literally just searched the tscc website and found a link to the novice program book AFTER i made my first post. it answered pretty much all my questions, however when you say how long you're a novice depends on the group. does that the mean group is in "novice status" together and won't be eligible to come out of that until they all progress past a certain point? i only ask cause i'm afraid i'll suck and hold the group back lol.

getfast 12-21-2010 12:30 PM

No, that means (with NASA anyway) you sign up as a novice for your first 6 events. Then after that, you sign up with your car's regular classification. It's the honor system really.

Example, check out the results from the last NASA-X, scroll down, "NOVICE" is its own car class just like A, B, C, etc. Just that everyone in Novice is supposed to have done 6 events or less. http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/102410res_summary.htm