VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   Tire advice - Hankook RS-3 (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/tire-advice-hankook-rs-3-a-415908/)

markell27 10-12-2011 05:54 PM

Tire advice - Hankook RS-3

Just wondering if anyone has used the hankook RS-3?

trackrider600rr 10-14-2011 05:35 PM

Re: Tire advice - Hankook RS-3

I used them on my evo last year... Great street tires for the price that work awesome in wet conditions. Good dry grip too but sidewalks are alil weak and compound is not as sticky as some other tires out there. Tread wear was pretty good to, but I switched over to Toyo r1r when they wore out bc they were cheap through my dealer ($100 ea) and for the price the toyo is the better buy. I have 5000 miles on them with 3 track days and still have enough tread for another couple track days, much stickier compound too, but again these sidewalks are a lil weak too. Hope that helps

markell27 10-15-2011 03:46 PM

I've read a lot of good things about the Hankooks, but also see 2 or 3 comments about weak sidewalls. I want to stay away from R compounds while I'm going through HPDE so I think it's down to the Dunlops and Hankooks. Hard to beat getting all four tires for less than $550.

Thanks for the feedback Trackrider600rr

sjfehr 10-15-2011 04:05 PM

RS-3 have GREAT grip and have pretty stiff sidewalls, they're just not quite as stiff as Dunlop Star Specs and some of the other top-performance tires, but that just means you run them at slightly higher pressures. RS-3 need some heat for max grip. They'd be great for DE, but do very poorly in cold weather. Star Specs need less heat for max grip and do better in cool temps (freezing and a little below), but are still not winter tires. Any summer tire will be downright dangerous in the cold! As a DD in VA, I'd recommend Star Spec over RS-3, but they're both great tires and I'd recommend either for competition over far more expensive tires.

If you do a lot of DEs or this car is a dedicated track car, go with RS-3; Star Spec grip really doesn't fall off much in extreme heat, but they do seem to wear faster when they get really hot. RS-3 handles the heat better.

You might want to read this thread on autocross.us, too: http://www.autocross.us/forums/index.php?showtopic=5084

markell27 10-16-2011 03:18 PM

Great review. I use a 95 240sx as a DE car and drive every couple weeks to work just to get the thing running. This makes me feel more confident with the Hankooks. I'm just waiting for tire rack to have the 255/40's in stock and I'll place my order.

D_Eclipse9916 10-17-2011 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by markell27 (Post 7415190)
Great review. I use a 95 240sx as a DE car and drive every couple weeks to work just to get the thing running. This makes me feel more confident with the Hankooks. I'm just waiting for tire rack to have the 255/40's in stock and I'll place my order.

I have a brand new set of 255-40-17 with the stickers still on em from tirerack. Save you a few bucks on shipping if youd like.

That is if you can pick them up. I can have them at NASA Summit Point November.

markell27 10-17-2011 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by D_Eclipse9916 (Post 7416077)
I have a brand new set of 255-40-17 with the stickers still on em from tirerack. Save you a few bucks on shipping if youd like.

That is if you can pick them up. I can have them at NASA Summit Point November.

Send you a PM.

sjs0433 10-28-2011 12:01 PM

Can't go wrong with the RS3. They do take a little more heat and generally require a little more pressure. Best warm weather dry grip street tire out there. On the s2000 most guys are finding they need a tad more camber too which is probably a little to do with the soft sidewalls.

I really like them but will probably go with the Star Specs next.