Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

TECH question

Old 04-15-2003, 07:03 AM
Trophy Fodder Racing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trader0231 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TECH question

2003 Honda Civic Si

I am trying to set up my car. I am not sure which to do.

Question 1)
If I do springs and sways with a camber kit I will be in DSP, correct?

Question 2) Does this product sound right? I don't see how you can get caster without an adjustable control arm.

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...k=yes&dept=269

Question 3)
If I get new adjustable control arms, what class would that put me in?

Thanks for your help,
Rob
Old 04-15-2003, 07:56 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

doesn't ground control make a camber plate for your car?
If they did, I think that would be a better product.
grassroots motorsports built an STS G7 SI. If you could find the old issues with the articles about it, it would help you out a lot.
Old 04-15-2003, 07:58 AM
Trophy Fodder Racing

they made there car a modified car. They went from STS to Modified. I don't want to do that so some of there stuff isn't legal in SP. They don't say what and I don't know, either.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:15 PM

turbochad is an unknown quantity at this point

I would check the rules .

I'm not really familiar with the stock and SP rules anymore since I'm not in either of those anymore.

Here's the stock rules:
13.8 Suspension
Standard, as defined herein, suspension springs must be used. They may not be cut, shortened or collapsed. Cars with swing axle suspension may be lowered sufficiently to achieve no more than two degrees of negative camber at rest, and may use a camber compensator.
Both the front and rear suspension may be adjusted through their designed range of adjustment by use of factory adjustment arrangements or by taking advantage of inherent manufacturing tolerances. However, no suspension part may be modified for the purpose of adjustment unless such modification is specifically authorized by the factory shop manual for non-competition purposes.

Replacement control arms for vehicles having integral bushing/arm assemblies must be standard factory parts as per Sections 12.4 and 13.0. This encompasses both alignment and ride height parameters, if such adjustments are provided by the stock components and specified by the factory as normal methods of adjustment.

If authorized by the manufacturer, the use of shims, special bolts, removal of material to enlarge mounting holes, and similar methods are allowed and the resulting alignment settings are permitted even if outside the normal specification or range of specifications recommended by the manufacturer. If enlarging mounting holes is specifically authorized but no material removal limits are specified, material removal is restricted to the amount necessary to achieve the maximum factory alignment specification.

For Street Prepared:14.8 Suspension
Ride height may only be altered by suspension adjustments, the use of spacing blocks, leaf spring shackles, torsion bar levers, or change or modification of springs or coil spring perches. This does not allow the use of spacers which alter suspension geometry, such as those between the hub carrier and lower suspension arm. Springs must be of the same type as the original (coil, leaf, torsion bar, etc.) and except as noted herein, must use the original spring attachment points. Coil spring perches originally attached to struts or shock absorber bodies may be changed or altered, and their position may be adjustable. Spacers are allowed above or below the spring. These allowances permit multiple coil springs, as long as they use the original mount locations. (7/2002).
Suspension bump stops may be altered or removed.
Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original location. Offset bushings may be used. In a replacement bushing the amount of metal relative to the amount of non-metallic material may not be increased. This does not authorize a change in type of bushing (for example ball and socket replacing a cylindrical bushing), or use of a bushing with an angled hole whose direction differs from that of the original bushing. If the Stock bushing accommodated multi-axis motion via compliance of the component material(s), the replacement bushing may not be changed to accomodate such motion via a change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys may be used to prevent the rotation of alternate bushings, but may serve no other purpose than that of retaining the bushing in the desired position. Differential mount bushings are not suspension bushings and thus may not be substituted under this allowance, though Section 14.1.C allows certain update/backdate allowances (8/2002).
On vehicles with strut-type suspensions, adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut, and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted but the center clearance hole may not be modified. Any type of bearing or bushing may be used in the adjustable camber plate attachment to the strut. The installation may incorporate an alternate upper spring perch/seat and/or mounting block (bearing mount). Any ride height change resulting from installation of camber plates is allowed. Caster changes resulting from the use of camber places are permitted
Addition or replacement of suspension stabilizers (linkage connecting axle housing or De Dion to the chassis, which controls lateral suspension location) is permitted. Traction bars or torque arms may be added or replaced. A panhard rod may be added or replaced. Methods of attachment and attachment points are unrestricted. This does not authorize removal of a welded-on part of a subframe to accommodate installation. The longitudinal member which GM refers to as a "torque arm" on 3rd and 4th generation Camaros, which controls differential movement, is covered by this section and may be substituted or modified.
Changes in alignment parameters which result directly from the use of allowed components are permitted. For example, the dimensional changes resulting from the use of a cylindrical offset bushing which meets the restrictions of 14.8.C are allowed, including those resulting from a change in the pivoting action to
(a) about the mounting bolt, or
(b) about the bushing itself.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Trophy Fodder Racing

thanks a million. You the man!