Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Summit Point Nov 2-3 (phooka made his car dirty)

Old 11-05-2002, 08:31 AM
old guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Summit Point Nov 2-3 (phooka made his car dirty)

We went to Summit Point and came back and the forum is gone. We can't leave you guys with anything while we are gone :-).

It was a NASA race/HPDE weekend for those of you that don't know. Phooka and me went. Also running were Beno Rubin in his other Civic, Jeff Curtis in a Dazio 962 thingey (he apparently is not running his 911 right now). Keith Edwards was there working corners too.

Phooka started things off early with a quick offroad excursion at turn 3. That is not a good place to go off, but he managed to not hit anything, except some rocks that bent up some things underneath. He has some videos of his other sessions that he says he will put online somewhere.

In what I call the good planning department, I was an instructor for the event. I have RWD, high horseposer experience, especially with older Mustangs. So there are 2 novices in old Shelbyized Mustangs at this event. One gets and instructor who drives a Civic, and the other at least got an instructor that drives a later Mustang. I on the otherhand have students in a Civic and a Subaru. I have to admit they were both model students, but I had little to offer them in specifics about their cars.

For me it felt great to get back home to Summit Point. It is a busy track compared to VIR. I did put two wheels off the track (first time ever at a HPDE type event) by overshooting breaking point at turn 5 on Saturday. The next day I had a problem in the front suspension at the kink at the top of the chute (fastest turn on the track, with the least runoff room). I turned and the car went straight. I came very clost to putting it all in the tires and concrete there, but I saved the car. I got it back to the pits after the session, found the problem (had to replace a bolt) and got everything home ok.

Ted Hulse (SP regular forever) was running a borrowed Jaguar XK220 (a $1million car) all weekend. There were some other interesting cars in the NASA races, great trophy girls, etc.

Great weekend, they had some incidents in the HPDE and the races. Those things happen sometimes to remind us that all those safety features are not there just for show. Gotta go back again soon.

Last edited by roadRacer; 11-05-2002 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:37 AM
Large Member

phooka has disabled reputation

Here's a repost from honda-tech (since dragva was down :-P)

Well I've driven at Summit Point now off and on since about 1992 and this weekend was the first time I've gone all four wheels off there. First session out in the Advanced group, we got the opportunity to warm up the track. It felt about 10 degrees to me - but I hate the cold so.. Anyway. Rock hard race rubber in cold weather with too much air in the back tires didn't do much to improve on my boneheaded maneuvers to recover from a spin. A few laps in, not quite completely warmed up I overcooked (could anything be termed overcooked in that weather?) turn three - Scott Willard probably got a nice view of the whole thing too as he was right behind me. As the back started to come around I applied a generous amount of power which managed to void any remaining grip I had in the back of the car. I've done this before in three and always managed to power out of it before, but didn't happen.. Second move was to lift too quickly when I realized I lost it, appropriately causing the car to hook up pointed towards the trees on the left of the track.

I had alot of time to think in that moment. First was, "gee - I wonder what the tow bill is going to be to get back to Virginia Beach? This is going to be bad.." I was visualizing the crumpled metal of the front of my car and hood - thinking that this just wasn't gonna be good at all. I managed to straighten the car up a little as I approached the tree line so I was headed again towards the flag station before four. As I noticed all those boulders ahead of me (I had no idea there were so many outcrops of rock over there!) and started to hit them tossing the car up in the air - I thought "Hey, it's a good thing I unplugged that airbag!" I finally stopped just past the flag station before four, wondering just how badly I messed up my car.

I was able to drive back to the paddock without any problems fortunately. I found twigs and leaves in the car, and stuck to the door handle.. scratches on the roof of the car from hitting branches. After getting it up on jackstands, and prying all the mud and grass away from the steering rack and k-member, as well as removing peices of rock embedded into the suspension.. all appeared well aside from a majorly thunked k-member and several dents underbody. Steering rack hoses were bent up pretty badly, but nothing leaking. I even managed to bend the oil pressure sending unit up without causing anything to start leaking or breaking.

dale

Old 11-05-2002, 12:05 PM
¿Señor Member?

The Barst is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you borrow a million dollar car? Who would loan a million dollar car? And what happens when Ted does with the Jag what Phooka did to the stang? You could buy phooka's car for the price of fixing up th jag. Craziness! I've never been to Summit, is it more dangerous to newbies than vir in the run-off department and closenesss of walls. VIR looks very safe in almost every part of the track.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:23 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by The Barst
How do you borrow a million dollar car? Who would loan a million dollar car? And what happens when Ted does with the Jag what Phooka did to the stang? You could buy phooka's car for the price of fixing up th jag. Craziness! I've never been to Summit, is it more dangerous to newbies than vir in the run-off department and closenesss of walls. VIR looks very safe in almost every part of the track.
Well there are racers that do things like that. Summit point is not as safe as VIR, but it is better that pleanty of other tracks. Is it crazy... yeah. I will not drive a student's Civic, much less borow a $1M car.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:36 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Good review/story guys. That Mustang looks sick!