Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

suggestions, tips, advice, any of that stuff

Old 03-17-2003, 08:56 AM
DILLIGAF?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BadBeck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default suggestions, tips, advice, any of that stuff

For any experienced autocrossers, can you tell me anything helpful for first time autocrossers? I.e. acceleration to the cone, braking, steering, etc. I would rather fully admit now i know little to nothing except for what i've observed than play it off like i've done this a million times before. Also, what should one's tire pressure be if it normally runs about 37? Should it be altered for this type of event? Thx.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:32 PM
Who's this guy?

Bandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know about the acceleration to the cone deal....i usually drive right over them. but only thing i can give you is take your time, and be smooth. on the tires issue i have no clue. you drive a civic ex, so id ask JRSCdSi, he had a civic si, so im sure he'd help you out. i personally run 43 psi all around, cause its the set-up i like best..when you go to autox just set the tire pressure, and make adjustments as you feel needed.....
Old 03-17-2003, 04:02 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

Your tires spinning all the while may sound/look/feel cool but it is slowing you down greatly. Drive smoothly and learn the course. Bring your tire pressures up around 45 if it is hot and then you can lower them down to see what you like better it isnt that big of a deal. try to look ahead when you are driving and dont put the power on too earily cause you will just understeer. accelerate, brake, turn in, finish turn and apply power is basically it. Your driving will change when you learn your car but just do the basics now. Also dont shift that much cause while it feels faster you are just loosing time and not being quiet as smooth. Just come out and get seat time.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:22 PM
I Race Cars

solo2cvc is an unknown quantity at this point

Seat time & auto-x school would probably be your best bet. On April 5th, SCCA-Old Dominion Region is hosting a novice school at Pungo Airfield in Virginia Beach. On April 26th, Virginia Motorsports Club is hosting a school at Cloverleaf Mall in Richmond.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:24 PM
i like prom.

urvtecs2slo has disabled reputation

are there any rules about using an automatic transmission in auto-x?
Old 03-17-2003, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Yea...if its in your car, you may use it...

-Kevin
Old 03-18-2003, 10:35 AM
FF Driver

wahoo5 is an unknown quantity at this point

I highly recommend the Evolution Performance Driving School. I took the one in Richmond last Saturday. It was great. I think there is one at the Beach later this month. Their web site is www.autocross.com/evolution .

Be smooth and don't overdrive. Look ahead to your next target/turning point. If you focus on the gate you are in, you will get lost and be slow. Most important - have fun.

On tire pressures, it depends a lot on whehter you are front or rear wheel drive. On most rear wheel drives you want to boost the front 7-9 lbs and leave the rears the same or even decrease them slightly.

David
Old 03-18-2003, 11:29 AM
Who's this guy?

Bandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond repute

there's nothing wrong with an automatic....me, lightningd, slammedsentra, and i forgot who else all have auto's....and lightningd is one of the faster "drivers" in his auto....
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 AM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Get secrets of solo racing, good book.
Old 03-18-2003, 04:12 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

A great thing for learning is a video tape calle something like "Autocrossing with Dick Turner". It is a little old now, but is a very good source for showing you how to pratice the right skills. It is available from Classic Motorbooks and some other places. I wish they would update it some, but it is still applicable.

Quick Reply: suggestions, tips, advice, any of that stuff