Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Starting our own autox club?

Old 01-19-2003, 04:31 PM
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Starting our own autox club?

What are you thoughts on this.

it's takes a lot of work (but less if it's done efficiently) and money. here are the two emails to/from greg, so....

TO GREG
Hey Greg, this is David Martin (in the Black Honda Accord) that's always at Pungo autoxing.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there are quite a few racers out there (including me) that are from the dragva.com message board. The board itself is rather large, but most the members only deal with drag racing, while not knowing even what autox is.

Just the other day, I posted about having a "DragVA.com only Autox," and so far have gotten a good amount of responses about the idea. You can read the responses at these two links...
http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=4795
http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=4819

As you can see, we have quite a few ideas gathered up, and quite a bit of interest over the past day. Well, I'm turning to you to get information, and maybe some help on holding this event. The event goal is to bring more interest into the autoxing world with the current car enthusiast scene out there right now. I know there is so much paper work and other topics that need to be addressed like insurance/regulations/etc. I don't know how likely it is, but I was hoping maybe we could use Pungo for the event. I was thinking about the BCC and how they are very similar to the ODR events held, but I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes.

I'm sort of hoping that if it's a real good success, then maybe we can have more events, or a series, but that's just wishful thinking for now. DragVA events in the past have had turn outs in the triple digits previously, so hopefully, this can get off the ground.

Can you please shine some light towards me, and possibly help me on this project. If we get it going, it will be a joint project w/ a numerous amount of us from dragva.com.

Looking forward to your response
David Martin
Dragva.com

http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=4819

http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthr...&threadid=4795

FROM GREG

David,

The concept of an "All DragVA.com Only" auto-x isn't going to be easy to
pull off. Just like ODR, the Beachcombers Corvette Club uses a sanctioning
body for their auto-x's. The Beachcombers use the National Council of
Corvette Clubs (NCCC) for their sanctioning body so they cannot deny entry
to one of their events to anyone that is an NCCC member. To do so would
violate their charter with the NCCC. The SCCA discourages local regions
from co-sponsoring events with non-SCCA organizations. There is too much
potential for negative press for the SCCA if the co-sponsoring organization
turns the event into a fiasco.

The owner of Pungo airfield won't allow the site to be used for auto-xing
without being co-listed on the insurance certificate of the club hosting the
event. (No insurance, no event!) K&K Insurance, Motorsports Division, is
the biggest insurer for auto-xing, but I'm not sure that they would even
consider insuring an event unless the host club was incorporated and had a
set of enforceable rules for running the event.

We might have some luck pursuing concept this via two different venues. The
first is Langley Speedway. They are currently exploring holding auto-x
events are their track during the week nights and possibly on Sundays if
there were enough interest. I can forward the info to them to see if they
are interested. The second approach would be to add all DragVA.com teams to
those being formed by Beno Rubin for the local auto-x's. The DragVA.com
racers could then compete at the local auto-x's and compete separately among
themselves. You could devise your own scoring system to suit your purposes.

I think that the concept bears exploration, but an "All DragVA.com Only"
auto-x at Pungo seems to be out of the question right now.

-Greg Smith

TO GREG

Greg,
Well, the idea was to get more of the drag racers involved in autox (which i'm sure a lot of them would get hooked because its a lot more fun in my opinion). A lot of us really want to get it off the ground.

We've been trying to get ppl to come out for a while, but they never make it. Having a dragva event would make more of them want to come out and try it at least once.

With the Langley idea, that might be ok, but I've raced at Southside Speedway (in Richmond) before, and it wasn't really a fun event, because there is no space for real autoxing. I've never been to Langley, but I have the impression that it is the same idea there. We want to put on a really fun event so we can hook people like using bait.

As far as insurance goes, I'm scared to ask, but how much is it?
How much is the timing equipment ODR uses?
How much are cones?

We are just really urgent to get the event (and maybe future ones) off the ground. The more information we have the better.

I'm also going to talk to Curtis Staples, president of TSCC and see what he has to say, and if he can provide any useful information to me.

Thank you for you time,
David Martin
dragva.com

FROM GREG
> Greg,
> Well, the idea was to get more of the drag racers involved in
> autox (which
> i'm sure a lot of them would get hooked because its a lot more fun in my
> opinion). A lot of us really want to get it off the ground.
>
> We've been trying to get ppl to come out for a while, but they never make
> it. Having a dragva event would make more of them want to come
> out and try
> it at least once.
>
> With the Langley idea, that might be ok, but I've raced at Southside
> Speedway (in Richmond) before, and it wasn't really a fun event, because
> there is no space for real autoxing. I've never been to Langley,
> but I have
> the impression that it is the same idea there. We want to put on a really
> fun event so we can hook people like using bait.

Langley is very similar to Southside. Langley has a paved (concrete)
go-kart track as part of the infield behind the pit wall. ODR used to
auto-x at Langley before we used Pungo. You're correct in that Pungo is
more open - therefore more fun.

> As far as insurance goes, I'm scared to ask, but how much is it?

You would have to get a quote from K&K's Motorsports Division
(www.kandkinsurance.com). ODR's insurance is part of the SCCA's insurance
package so I really don't know how much a single event would cost. We pay
the SCCA a $3 per entry insurance fee.

> How much is the timing equipment ODR uses?

We use RaceAmerica's (www.raceamerica.com) AC4 autocross timer. Our package
cost around $1300. ODR's old timer is available for $200. It only times
two cars at a time though.

> How much are cones?

The SCCA soft polyethylene cones are roughly $20 each in lots of 20. (I say
roughly because we have to pay shipping and the SCCA just moved their HQ
from Denver to Topeka so the shipping should be less now.) You can buy
safety (traffic) cones locally for less. It might be better to rent the
cones than buy them so you don't incur a large expense up front.

> We are just really urgent to get the event (and maybe future
> ones) off the
> ground. The more information we have the better.
>
> I'm also going to talk to Curtis Staples, president of TSCC and
> see what he
> has to say, and if he can provide any useful information to me.

That may be the best bet since TSCC is a local club without the encumbering
rules of a national sanctioning body.

> Thank you for you time,
> David Martin
> dragva.com

You'r welcome David. Hope that you can work this out. It should be a fun
event.

so what do you think??
Old 01-19-2003, 04:32 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

DO IT!!!! I WANNA TRY AUTO-X
Old 01-19-2003, 04:32 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

and the deal w/ racing on the course earlier as an advantage. why does it take so many to set up a course. you need a truck and cones?

the main thing here would be can we keep attendance up, and afford it.

ALSO i'm not referring to dragva.com only on this particular topic.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:39 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

how about... we go to a parking lot, and put cones out and have fun.........
Old 01-19-2003, 04:46 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

I would struggle seeing dragva host a event. Seems like to much trouble. You may want to consider joining the Corvette Club and offering to run a 4 series summer event. Similiar to the winter events. This way you support a club that really is nice and knows how to host a quality event. I wish they would host more then just the winter 4.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

I think its great you want to do so much Dave. But, I think Steve is right maybe try to get up with the Corvette guys to host the event and we can post alot here about running Little car VS Big cars. Or play to the ego of some of the drag guys. I dont know what to call it but print out fliers the BeachCombers could hand them out to get the muscle cars out. And a bunch of us could hit up where the rices or drag guys hang.
Just a thought
Old 01-19-2003, 06:07 PM
///m thrizzle

trip has disabled reputation

maybe we could just call it a drag event and make it sound like fun and get everyone to sign up that wants to drive and people can come and watch and make a little gathering/show there. i mean we dont have to do all the dirty work just for the name. it is all about getting the fellow draggers hyped up and notified about our autoxs.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:08 PM

jmciver is an unknown quantity at this point

I too think this is a great idea. Here are a few ideas I was thinking about......

I agree with 98sr20ve in that you should try to host this event with another club. However, using BCC or ODR (which is SCCA) would be difficult since they have "big brother" watching, like Greg said.

I think what you should try to do is try to borrow the equipment (cones and timer) from one of the local clubs. They don't use the stuff 24/7 so there should be time when you can use it. That way you don't have all of the initial start up costs of buying equipment. The money raised from the DragVA hosted events could then go to buy/rent equipment for the the club. Of course, as with borrowing anything that does not belong to you, you need take extra care of it.

The hardest part will be finding a suitable location and then getting insurance. I have done driving schools at Langley which were very auto-x in nature, but there really isn't enough room when compared to Fentress, Littlecreek or Pungo. And you have that concrete wall to deal with (which has slowed me down on more than a number of occasions !!). Fentress and Littlecreek are out, at least until the club is established. These are military installations and as such require a lot more paper work and rules. I know since I am in the Navy and helped to negotiate the use of Fentress by the BMWCCA local chapter. Although Fentress is not totally out of the picture based on my negotiantions, I don't think it should be considered first.

The best bet is Pungo. It is privately owned and from what I understand is not that expensive to use per event. I would say talk to Curtis of TSCC, if you have not already done so, since TSCC is not affiliated with a national organization. From there you should be able to get some more insight on how the whole insurance thing works.

You might also want to take a trip down to Abacus Racing since the owner of Abacus Racing also owns Pungo. I have had my car dynoed there a few times and they seem like nice people.

I think this is a great idea and with some hard work I think it can happen. I like the idea of having more auto-x opportunities locally and I would even be willing to help (regardless of what was said in other threads on this board !!).
Old 01-19-2003, 06:26 PM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I know how K&K's insurance works, I'll chime in. Basically you can't get insurance for one event. Well you can, but it costs the same as getting insurance for about 6-7 events. I don't know what the costs are at this time. But expect it to be more than $2k.

There is discussion on that national autox list (team.net) that many local clubs like TSCC are not being allowed to get insurance renewal this year. I have not heard, but I will not be surprised if TSCC runs into this wall this year as well.

I just don't see being able to pull of the first event unless it is co-sanctioned with another club, unless there is a large inflow of capital. That being said, several years ago it was one of TSCC's mission statements to do all they could to help out other clubs get off the ground. It was their policy to co-sanction, loan/rent equipment as necessary, etc in an effor to get other clubs active. It was not too long ago that TSCC and VMSC were the only clubs around putting on events.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:56 AM
co driver

co-holding an event. I like the idea of maybe teaming up w/ BCC. maybe if we do a real load of the work, then they can help us get off the ground (keep some profits) IF we were to start something.

i also like the ideas of the flyers to the local car scene ppl. most of them just use their mouth anyways, maybe they'be be able to actually show something.

doing a lil bit of small math. if we had a good event, $20/piece for 80 cars would be $1600. take away a large $5/per/for insurance, and maybe $5 for pungo/BCC, that leaves $800 left over.

keep the ideas coming. especially the old guys you have expierence and wisdom

Quick Reply: Starting our own autox club?