Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

someone teach me about spring rates

Old 08-01-2004, 04:09 PM
~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default someone teach me about spring rates

hey guys, ive done a little bit of searching (probably not as much as i should) and i really havent found a good place to start figuring out what i need on the front of my car. im going the cheap skate route for now, which is why im not just buying a full QA1 set instead of doing research. im looking to get the front of my car to transfer weight to the rear tires better on my launch. im having real bad traction problems which has a lot to do with the lack of slicks up under the ass of my car but i have my reasons for not using slicks.

so, what im looking for is what spring rate i should use to achieve the most front end "lift" on my launches. what shocks and struts should be used with this. etc.

the only suspension modifications to my car is i have removed the front sway bar and i have a set of springs from a v6 camaro in the rear. theyre a little bit softer than v8 springs. i figured yall know a lot about suspension so i'd start here. thanks guys

Nick
Old 08-09-2004, 08:14 PM
Cruising @ 8000ft

hatch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: someone teach me about spring rates

what all do you want to know about spring rates? A Progressive spring (from what I understand) works like this: The farther the spring is compressed, the stiffer it gets. Thus allowing a kinder ride, but by the same token it can get aggressive and handle like a champ. You want stiffer springs to keep your car from rolling, the object is to distribute the weight of the car to the outer wheels without having much body roll... That's my take on it at least.... it makes sense to me. 51 views and no replies? good grief
Old 08-10-2004, 08:32 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Hmmm, for launching a RWD car I'm not quite sure what kind of rates you would need. A stiffer front spring would transfer the weight faster to the rear, so that would help, but I don't know how a softer rear spring would react. In FWD you usually want a stiffer front spring to reduce wheel hop and to keep the traction down, so I'm not sure if you should stiffen both but, just have the rear springs not as stiff.

As far as handaling goes generally RWD cars still use stiffer front springs to keep body roll down so that seems right. Now as far as actual lbs per inch I'm not sure. You might want to see what the rates are stock, then see what some of the lowering spring companies offer and then go from there. If a company doesn't know their own spring rate then do NOT buy from them!

Ground Control is a good company and you can get custom spring rates in 25 lbs increments for no extra charge. I would check them out or even call them up and see what they say.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 AM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/

That should help you out Reuter.