Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Racing gear questions

Old 01-26-2011, 06:42 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck
Default Re: Racing gear questions

Yeah like I said, email him tell him you want a two piece (really glad I did that) and he should give it to you for the same price, he did me, just 50 more because I wanted the flat black helmet.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:46 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Sounds like a great deal, but FYI that suit is one of the lowest fire ratings.

http://www.sfifoundation.com/driversuit.html

My G-force is a 3.2A-5.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:39 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

I got this bad boy and i loves it:

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-voy...productid=1049
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
Yeah like I said, email him tell him you want a two piece (really glad I did that) and he should give it to you for the same price, he did me, just 50 more because I wanted the flat black helmet.
2 piece racing suits aren't legal for NASA.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:45 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
2 piece racing suits aren't legal for NASA.
They are however legal for Chump car, as well as HPDE - by the time hes ready to move into actual racing they will be expired anyway and it will be time for new shit (a couple years away)

The one piece suits the rest of the team got are real tight in the crotch area and uncomfortable while strapped in the car.

Plus I like being able to use it as a jacket around the track. Jeans and my jacket = good to go.

But absolutly whatever hes comfortable with, im just going on my personal preference.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM
Track Whore

Cmqqn85 has disabled reputation

here what i got, got it through simpson, and i did not pay nearly taht much for it. if you a NASA member try to get a discount, that how i got mine for a deal with gloves.

http://www.racehelmet.com/simpson/stingraycf.html
Old 01-27-2011, 03:44 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by D_Eclipse9916
And go try on a bunch, whichever fits the best regardless of style...get.
^ this. Don't buy a helmet sight unseen/mail-order unless you feel like doing a lot of return shipping until you get the right one. A drive up to a place like OG Racing is definitely worth it.

That said, I'm getting 2-3 years out of G-Force helmets that I'm in and out of at least 100x a year between karting, autox, and track stuff. They seem to be a good value and fit my particular melon just fine. I'll be ordering a new SA2010 sometime this year, probably the one in your first picture. YMMV.
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

I just got an HJC CL16 SA2010 for dirt cheap after trying on a friends to verify fitment. It is very comfortable and a great value in my opinion

http://www.hjc-helmets.com/product/SUL904611-ATT.html
Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

I've been using the Bell M4 for a couple years now and I love it for the price.
As has been said above,finding something that fits your head shape and size is the most important thing.If you can't make it somewhere to try on helmets,OG Racing's site has a lot of good sizing info,as well as charts to convert your head measrement to the various manufacturers' sizing.I wouldn't put a lot of weight(haha,get it)into the weight issue.Price really starts going up for small reductions in helmet weight as you get into the more exotic materials.After doing two hour stints at the VIR Chump race last year,I never noticed any neck fatigue or pain from my heavyish helmet-it was more in my arms and chest from driving the car,which is the same thing I get after a day or two of HPDE time.

Also compare prices for 2005 versus 2010 certifications on the same model helmets.I was looking at this the other day,and on many helmets there was only a very small difference.If you can get an extra five years of use for a few more dollars,that certainly pays for itself.I'd also absolutely stay with SA certifications only.It'd suck to decide to do a track day or race with a group that won't allow motorcycle/kart helmets,and that's all you have.Not to mention if,Jeebus forbid,you did catch on fire the SA helmet has Nomex liner for a reason.

Last edited by TNGChris; 01-30-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM
-DMD-

DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard DRFTwizard

Love mine, lightweight and comfortable. Won't find a better helmet for the money IMO. HJC AR10

Quick Reply: Racing gear questions