VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   The Twisties (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/)
-   -   November 7th Solo Event at Pungo Airfield, 7th Event of the 2010 Solo Season (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/twisties-28/november-7th-solo-event-pungo-airfield-7th-event-2010-solo-season-368118/)

sjfehr 10-23-2010 12:07 PM

November 7th Solo Event at Pungo Airfield, 7th Event of the 2010 Solo Season

Front gate opens at 7 AM. (Don't forget to "fall back" one hour as we leave Daylight Savings Time at 2 AM on Sunday!!) Registration opens at 8:30 AM while Tech is open from 9-10 AM. Mandatory drivers meeting at 10AM. FCO at 10:30 AM. Four (4) timed runs for $25 (SCCA members) or $30 (non-SCCA drivers). Hope to see you there! For directions from your house to Pungo, use the following destination with your favorite mapware program:

1832 Princess Anne Road Virginia Beach, VA 23456.

Solo Championship Information

Registration (Opens on Monday, Oct 25th)

Entry List

Autocross information page - please read before posting questions here.

Course map:

https://i901.photobucket.com/albums/...rse-7Nov10.jpg

Madhatchz 11-02-2010 07:16 AM

Re: November 7th Solo Event at Pungo Airfield, 7th Event of the 2010 Solo Season

Just signed up, I will be there. Didnt know what class to pick so i just picked one, im sure the guys there will help put my car in the right class.

sjfehr 11-02-2010 03:04 PM

Re: November 7th Solo Event at Pungo Airfield, 7th Event of the 2010 Solo Season

We can help you there :) What kind of car do you drive, and what mods have you done to it?

Madhatchz 11-02-2010 07:28 PM

2002 s2000. Mods are 4.56 gears, header back exhaust and springs. I do have 17 inch aftermarket rims, but stock staggered and stock tire sizes (for the 2004+ s2000)

sjfehr 11-03-2010 01:40 AM

Do you still have a cat (in the same relative position) & O2 sensor? What size tires?

I'm going to have to check on the 4.56 gears.

sjfehr 11-03-2010 12:56 PM

Well, it seems gear ratio is an expensive change, class-wise. That and the other modifications you've done bump you into Street Modified (SM, or in your case SMN).

Delta Charlie 11-03-2010 04:50 PM

How smooth is this course? Lowered car friendly? Cause my car is sitting pretty low.

sjfehr 11-03-2010 04:59 PM

I doubt you'll have any issues on course. Pungo is a 70 year old airfield, though the concrete is in pretty good shape for its age. It's not "smooth", but smooth enough for open wheeled race cars with less than 1" of ground clearance to run.

Here's some video I took earlier this year that shows the conditions of the course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szXx5w2hJiM

I think your biggest problem would be the unpaved road into the site, which is rather rough. If you can make it through that, you should be fine.

Delta Charlie 11-03-2010 05:09 PM

Ah ok. Is the entry road just gravel or is it pitted out and have ruts or something?

sjfehr 11-03-2010 05:47 PM

It's very potholed. I've never scraped bottom in my Boxster (and that's pretty much driving straight through it without any attempt to dodge), but if you're VERY low, you might have issues.

Delta Charlie 11-03-2010 05:57 PM

K. I'' make the attempt to get in, I haven't ran in a solo even in a couple years so hopefully I can make it.

Madhatchz 11-04-2010 07:53 AM

Trying to get some more s2ks out :)

4doorB20 11-05-2010 07:34 AM

Me and some guysfrom work are coming.
Were bringin an sr20 swapped g20 a wrx and an rb25 swapped s15

HEISENBERG 11-05-2010 02:01 PM

Spectators allowed?

sjfehr 11-05-2010 05:10 PM

Spectators are welcome; there's no admission fee to spectate, just sign in as a spectator when you come through the gate & they'll give you a wristand. There's a small set of bleachers to watch from, but a lot of people bring beach chairs. We'll try to get the first car off about 10:30, and generally run for about 3-4 hours.

I tell you what, though, it's hard to watch and not want to drive! If you think you'll want to drive, come early, by about 9:00 or so, so you can get registered and teched and walk the course.

nftuatn 11-05-2010 05:25 PM

i want to go...does anybody want to come scoop me up?

Madhatchz 11-07-2010 03:34 PM

Had a great time today, sjfehr i should of introduced myself but it just slipped my mind. You did a great job as the safety guy, and did some impressive driving aswell. :) Hope someone post some pics!

Delta Charlie 11-07-2010 04:10 PM

I saw a few people out there taking pictures today... I wonder how to find those pictures

sjfehr 11-07-2010 04:16 PM

Thanks :) Glad you enjoyed it! I came once and was hooked; it's great to actually be able to drive our cars to the limit without having to worry about traffic or large immobile objects. Today was my first time doing the safety talk, but SCCA has a cheat sheet which makes it pretty straightforward. I didn't take any photos today, but I do have my in-car video:

This was my fastest clean run @ 45.615. My fastest run was 44.304, but I creamed 4 cones, and forgot to turn the camera on, DOH!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns9hkHUaqe0

I'll post the results here as soon as Greg puts them up. It's usually within a day or two. Photos are often posted here in here or in the VA Driven automotive gallery forum.

Delta Charlie 11-07-2010 04:31 PM

Man, you were flyin out there today! I can't wait to get out to ACU-4 in a couple weeks, I watched a few videos from there on youtube and it looks like a nice place.

sjfehr 11-07-2010 05:03 PM

Preliminary results are posted. Let Greg know if you see any errors or issues.
http://www.odr-scca.org/index2.php?o...=118&Itemid=29

Z33_Taxi 11-07-2010 05:15 PM

nice run...idk how you guys do autox; I can barely focus on the cones in the vid...I'll stick to driftwater, so much easier to follow a road than a cone trail

sjfehr 11-07-2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Z33_Taxi (Post 6691015)
nice run...idk how you guys do autox; I can barely focus on the cones in the vid...I'll stick to driftwater, so much easier to follow a road than a cone trail

We have course maps and walk through several times before running the course. At Pungo, we do a slow-speed drive through prior to timed runs, too, so that everyone has a chance to see it from the perspective of the driver's seat and at higher speeds, (it's completely different when the comes come at you at-speed.) All the cones mean something, so when you know how to read them, it all makes perfect sense. Most courses, you can walk (or even drive) up to the start line without ever having seen a map, and go straight through it without errors.

Mostly, though, it comes with practice. The #1 piece of advice I give to novices is to look ahead; it's easier said than done, but WOW what a difference it makes when you finally start looking ahead. When you do, the course just seems to slow way down, much better lines comes naturally, and you have time to *think* as well, and concentrate on acceleration/brake points, weight transfer, etc. If you watch the first section of that video 3 or 4 times, and look towards where you know the car will go, it's amazing, it will just... slow down.

That said, hetting lost on course your first race is a time-honored novice tradition. No matter how you end up on the results list at the end of the day, it's still such a blast to push your car to the limit :D HDPEs and track driving are much higher speeds, but still a bit conservative; the risk and punishment for exceeding the limits of your car is just too high to risk, so you have to drive with a margin of error. By contrast, you can safely push your car right up to its limits (and sometimes past them) in autocross, and the worst that happens is you hit a few cones. It's a different kind of driving, and one I really enjoy. Driftwater is somewhere in between. You can't beat driftwater for seat time, though!

Delta Charlie 11-10-2010 04:22 PM

I don't know if I am stupid or something, but I am having trouble locating the event results

sjfehr 11-11-2010 05:20 AM

That's odd, the results are gone; they were there earlier this week, I saw them! That's the right page. The championship points page was updated so you can see how you placed at least (175 is 1st place, and decreasing from there). I'll talk to Greg and see what's up with the results.

http://www.odr-scca.org/component/op...102/Itemid,29/

Edit: it's fixed now! Greg made a correction to it, but forgot to make it visible.

Delta Charlie 11-11-2010 01:11 PM

Sweet!

00lude 11-12-2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by sjfehr (Post 6691062)
By contrast, you can safely push your car right up to its limits (and sometimes past them) in autocross, and the worst that happens is you hit a few cones.

haha, I wouldn't go that far.

sjfehr 11-13-2010 04:09 AM

If the course is designed right, the worst that happens if you push too far and spin or plow off-course really should be just hitting a few cones. Though I guess there are some exceptions, like timing equipment. Or in Jeff Schmidt's case, the finish flag.

00lude 11-13-2010 07:02 AM

Course design is a major factor but not all local clubs have the same safety standards/requirements of the SCCA. I have brought up what I consider unsafe conditions on several occasions. I was on a "safe" course (although I didn't consider it safe), not overdriving and well; $2500 later, my car looks fantastic.

There is plenty that can go wrong and its something that every autocrosser needs to be aware of. That said, I think its probably the safest motorsport around.

250 11-13-2010 11:11 AM

Despite getting lost every single solitary time i went solo, I had a blast. Great event, great help, great people.

Also, i can appreciate how dangerous this sport has the ability to be. Just at this event, one car got (to me) closer-than-i'd-like-were-I-him to going off into the trees post-finishline. That said, you can still make some pretty fantastic mistakes and still be okay. In all, the reward FAR outweighs the minimal (again, to me) risk.