Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR

Old 12-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown_xa has disabled reputation
Default Re: NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR

Originally Posted by getfast
Cool. What does it weigh with you in it?
last time I had it on the corner balance scales, it was 2250 with a half tank gas I think. I weigh 142 lbs. So just figure 2400. They were intercomp scales. I just wanna see where im at for points, that will determine the tires I buy.

Last edited by Blown_xa; 12-29-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:15 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Yea it's definitely not a class D car anymore, with that kind of power-to-weight... more on this shortly...
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Blown_xa has disabled reputation

well poop
Old 01-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

hope to make this event again...hopefully the car will be finished
Old 01-02-2010, 06:14 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

I really want to do this. I still have to get around to reading the rules (they're long, I want to wait until I'm back at my place and can print them out), but what do I need in the way of safety equipment for a sedan? Just a helmet?

Also, just which rules apply? It doesn't seem like the standard autocross rules would be sufficient.

Last edited by marlinspike; 01-02-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

Originally Posted by marlinspike
I really want to do this. I still have to get around to reading the rules (they're long, I want to wait until I'm back at my place and can print them out), but what do I need in the way of safety equipment for a sedan? Just a helmet?
basically. car just has to be in good working order and pass tech inspection.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by BLU CIVIC
basically. car just has to be in good working order and pass tech inspection.
The only thing I can think of is I forgot to tell the shop that repaired my trans that since new my trans dipstick has been off, meaning when it shows between the two lines it's actually full. Shop filled it up to the top line, this means it will slowly drain fluid until it gets down to in between the two lines.

Will the appearance of trans fluid splatter fail me (the way it drains the excess it gets all over the area around the cross-brace and torque converter housing)?
Old 01-02-2010, 06:25 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Also, just which rules apply? It doesn't seem like the standard autocross rules would be sufficient.
Safety equipment is same as HPDE. Event is sanctioned and insured like HPDE. Car can be stock or modified, as long as the modifications pass tech. So, car just needs to pass a regular HPDE tech in advance and trackside:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/..._hpde_tech.pdf

Bring a legal helmet if you have one, otherwise we have a few loaners. All your other questions should be answered at the following links:

https://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1021

http://www.get-fast.net/nasacross/na...supps_2010.pdf

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/nasa-x_rules.pdf

If you are new to this (6 or less autocrosses in the last 24 months), your class is "Novice"... if you would like to read about the regular classing, it is detailed here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/nasa-x_classes.pdf

And once you know your car's base class from that link above, the classing worksheet is here:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/n...ation_form.pdf

As for "It doesn't seem like the standard autocross rules would be sufficient."... what do you mean? It's similar to an autocross, but bigger and faster, and with no work assignments. Because it's on a roadcourse it is sanctioned & insured like HPDE, although it's not HPDE. Please let me know what your specific concerns are, I'm happy to address 'em.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 PM
at the track today?

The only thing I can think of is I forgot to tell the shop that repaired my trans that since new my trans dipstick has been off, meaning when it shows between the two lines it's actually full. Shop filled it up to the top line, this means it will slowly drain fluid until it gets down to in between the two lines.

Will the appearance of trans fluid splatter fail me (the way it drains the excess it gets all over the area around the cross-brace and torque converter housing)?
Just the appearance of splatter will not necessarily fail you @ tech unless it is visibly dripping, and it depends on your tech inspector's interpretation of what's going on. However if you know you have a slow leak, you should definitely fixit before you run the car. What if that stuff gets all over the tires? Or drops on the track and gets on someone else's tires? Or gets worse the hotter you get the car, as you're doing lots of runs in close sequence? Anything that COULD be dangerous... CAN be dangerous on a roadcourse. Luckily it doesn't sound difficult or expensive to fix.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:31 PM
ATGATT

Originally Posted by getfast
Just the appearance of splatter will not necessarily fail you @ tech unless it is visibly dripping, and it depends on your tech inspector's interpretation of what's going on. However if you know you have a slow leak, you should definitely fixit before you run the car. What if that stuff gets all over the tires? Or drops on the track and gets on someone else's tires? Or gets worse the hotter you get the car, as you're doing lots of runs in close sequence? Anything that COULD be dangerous... CAN be dangerous on a roadcourse. Luckily it doesn't sound difficult or expensive to fix.
Yeah, I'd fix it if it were a problem, but it's not a slow leak. I've talked to a few techs about it, and apparently my assumption was correct - these slowly leak out any excess fluid by design. I don't know that it will have leaked out enough to be down by track day is my only worry. I could pull the drain plug, but then I'd have to get a new washer and everything...just a hassle. It'll leak about 5 drops over a 24 hour period, so it's slow going. I could take a hard right turn at high speed, supposedly that makes it drain off faster lol. Car has been on the road for a year and a half since being built. It has even seen two dyno sessions, both involving numerous back to back dyno runs without any hitch. I don't foresee it letting anything go.

BTW, thanks for the links.

I imagine I'll have to buy my own helmet since most helmets don't even come big enough for me.

Last edited by marlinspike; 01-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: NASA Circuitcross #1 Feb.21st @ VIR