Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

HPDE Drivers/Instructors

Old 12-05-2007, 08:22 AM
Danny@respecgarage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default HPDE Drivers/Instructors

I would like to get some more info on how many events it took you to move up from hpde 1/2/3/4.

I plan to start running with a lot of you in the 08 season and I'm just curious to know how many events it would take a novise driver to move up in levels. I plan on using my rx7 as my hpde platform. I have never attended an hpde, but from what I have read and seen it seems like a blast.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:48 AM
LUX Auto Brand

driftthis has disabled reputation
Default Re: HPDE Drivers/Instructors

i'd like to know this as well - and not by the book, by actual experience.

Last edited by driftthis; 12-05-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:55 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Its all up to you. Its your ability's and your short comings that your instructor is going to be looking at. That being said there is no problem being in group one, or group two for a while. The problem is when you jump up too fast, most of the cars in group three are fricking rolling, and the drivers are getting just about all the car has out of it. I will be moving into group three after 2 days in group one and 11 days in group 2. It was really only after feeling comfortable with not only the speed but feeling comfortable that I was aware of my surrounding's at speed that I feel it was time to move up. I have had 2 instructors that have said I was ready to move up when ever I felt ready. It was just last month that I felt ready so its group 3 for '08. Some people may jump up very fast and others will take it at a much slower pace.... and then there are some that should have taken it at a slower pace!!!! You will have a blast on track no matter what just remember to check your ego at the gate when you get to the track and you will have a much better time (I speak from experience) See you on track!!
Old 12-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

vbspec,

thank you for the reply. I was just reaching for more info into time attacks events and mid atlantic TT events when I stumbled upon requirements. It states that you must have successfully completed a NASA HPDE 4 event, or current NASA competition or provisional race license...ect. Which brought up my question.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Member "getfast" is the head of NASA's TT events he may ring in as well. I tell you the deal is to become an instructor so you don't have to pay an entry fee (but you work your butt off during the weekend)!!!! Axelerate has just become an instructor and has done a crap ton more events because it actually lowers his costs to play. If all goes well by late 09 I'll be instructing.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:12 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

First off, +1 to everything vbspec typed in his first post. That's all the best advice available. Take your time, work through the ranks at your own level of comfort and enjoyment, and enjoy the ride. Every weekend you will gain something - more fun, more experience, more car control, more safety, more speed - it doesn't matter what or how much, because the whole thing is a lengthy process and every step of it is a blast. Also, everyone climbs this ladder on a different timeframe - and there's NOTHING wrong with taking more time to do that if necessary.

Having said that - I am in my 5th? year of HPDE instructing with various groups - mostly NASA of course - and anytime I get a student who tells me he wants to climb the ranks as quickly as possible (which is do-able, we refer to it as "fast-tracking", pun intended)... it raises a red flag. One of the first conversations I usually have with any new-to-me student is about goals. That is, what are you here to do this weekend and what can I do to help you the most? And if someone immediately tells me they are "fast tracking" to a TT license or instructor certification or competition license, I judge that person more thoroughly than someone who says they are just there to "have a blast and get a little faster" or similar, because it means they're usually more focused on getting to some arbitrary level of involvement ASAP than enjoying every step along the way. And seat time - as much of it as you can possibly get - is what makes good drivers. Experience breeds knowledge, knowledge breeds skill, and skill breeds speed.

Now on to NASA TT specifically. Here in mid-atlantic you need to complete at least 4 weekends in HPDE3 with no incidents... just to qualify for a "check ride" with the regional TT director (me.) A check ride is not a guarantee of a provisional license, but when I do one I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking for safety and awareness. I'm looking for drivers who know what they're doing, have good car control, know how to read a constantly changing situation and make the best of it. Getting flustered, getting tunnelvision, making rookie mistakes, etc are all things that will probably not earn you a TT license. And I don't just ride, I also observe (in other cars, in my own car, from the cornerstations, etc.) Sometimes I'll borrow a car and go out and block you, or give you a point-by in an odd place, just to see how you handle it. This is all because I'm the guy who has to tell NASA's national office "yes, this person will be a safe and smart TT competitor." I haven't been wrong yet... but I trust my gut feeling and it's difficult to explain. You're either ready or you're not. It doesn't take long to find out.

Now as for numbers, I've seen people get to TT license level in a full season (call it 10 events) but not without outside experience and some natural skill thrown in too. For your average entrant off the street it'll probably be 2-5 weekends in HPDE1, 3-6 weekends in HPDE2, and then the 4+ weekends in HPDE3 without any issues... just to qualify for the check ride. So plan on two seasons realistically, and maybe get it done in one, if you go to a lot of events.

You can still do things like NASA Circuitcrosses (aka autoX on VIR's Patriot Course) and Redline Time Attacks pretty much regardless of experience or HPDE level status. Those are solo events, though. NASA TT is full open passing without point-by's, in groups of cars. It's a whole different ballgame, I promise you... think of it like a roadrace qualifying session and you'll get the idea. It's serious and potentially quite dangerous stuff, which is why we pre-qualify all our participants so thoroughly!

Hope it helps,

Jon

Last edited by getfast; 12-05-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2007, 09:20 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Three resources for ya...

1) description of the NASA-MA HPDE program:

http://www.nasaracing.net/hpde.htm

(Different from other regions because in MA, HPDE4 is for instructors only.)

2) NASA TT license application:

http://www.nasaproracing.com/images/...al-License.pdf

(In this case anyone who runs in HPDE4 is instructor certified, which automatically qualifies them for a TT license, but requires 4+ weekends in HPDE3 *then* at least one instructor clinic. Otherwise you see the spaces to fill in the four HPDE3 or equivalent passing-in-corners weekends.)

3) NASA-MA '08 HPDE schedule:

http://www.nasaracing.net/2008.htm

"Buy the ticket, take the ride." -Hunter S. Thompson
Old 12-06-2007, 06:08 AM
Danny@respecgarage

John,

I appreciate your post. I have attented a couple of your events in the autocross world and to say the least i have had a blast at every event. i have never done an hpde event and in the 08 season I plan in attenting a few. The reason for my post was to get in gear on whats come come in the future and start saving for these events. I know the wife would really appreciated it....lol. I'm in no rush in getting a TT license at all. I just want to have a blast driving with you guys and learn as much as I can from the instructors. With that sayd i think you and vbspec have covered all the questions i had.

Thank you,
Danny
Old 12-06-2007, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

ntinhri has a spectacular aura aboutntinhri has a spectacular aura about

I want to race the truck at a hpde event! I just want to have that experiance... please let me in... Oh and by the way, if for some reason I'm ok'd at an event I would love for you or dale to ride alonge... not to show off my truck but to get a great insite to the fastest and safest way around the track. thanks STeve

I too learned from this thread thanks!
Old 12-06-2007, 08:04 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

I'm gonna do some TT events this year.

TTB in March!

Quick Reply: HPDE Drivers/Instructors