Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

How much torque is too much?- Project LSX-7

Old 06-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Jay
VR-4ever

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay
Default Re: How much torque is too much?- Project LSX-7

Wiring a LSX swap = fun times.

Keep up the good work!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:11 PM
you put what, where?

su_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these parts

The LS actually has a better weight balance than the rotary...

I have JIC FLT A-2 coilovers. Racing Beat Adjustable Sway Bars, Ball Joint Tie Rod Ends, Derlin Bushings, Rear Strut Bar

prolly going with a kaaz 1.5 diff
Old 06-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

murphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these partsmurphy660 is infamous around these parts

what you using the car for? "corner carving" so most likely auto x and track right? suspension sounds good for now
Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 AM
Controlled Chaos

fourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to all

I think you will be alright to start, but I would look into spring rates soon.
The JICs are great dual purpose coilovers, but are kinda soft for a purpose built car.

The LS engine is about 75lbs heavier than the 20b and it is about an inch and a half longer. You will be killing the 50/50 ballance of the stock FD, but not by much. I'm am not knowledgable of the way the LS will have to be mounted to fit. It may have to be further forward than I am imagining. I would want to corner weight the car after the swap before deciding on new spring rates. You could do the math, but then your spending money based on theoretical numbers.

You will also want to stagger the tire sizes for the track. With that much torque and a slightly front heavy car, the rear end is going to be tail happy. For autocross, I would run the widest tire you can fit in the front all the way around. If you run the staggered set up on the autocross course, your car is going to push into the turns.

Just my .02.

Good luck...can't wait to see it out at the track.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:09 AM
you put what, where?

su_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these parts

It has actually been proven that the LS engine has an even better vehicle balance than the 13B rotary.

This was done on an almost exact duplicate of my car.
I have staggared wheels for street driving but Im looking to get a set of fnor1c's (wish I could get ccw's or fikse's) that are 17x9 all the way around for track and auto-x but I need to save up money frist
right now I have
18x8.5 front and 18x9.5 rear with 285w Falken FK451s for meat...

Last edited by su_maverick; 06-16-2006 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:24 AM
Controlled Chaos

fourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to allfourwhls is a name known to all

Damn impressive!!! Ballance and torque with only a 15lb increase in weight.

I will have to note this as a concideration for a future project.

How much of a nightmare is the wiring going to be? I am assuming you will be using a stand alone ECU, but what harness?
Old 06-16-2006, 05:37 AM
you put what, where?

slightly modified ls1 harness (cost me 150 to be sent out) and a reflashed LS1 ecu. Thats it. For as much crap as people give american engineers, the ECU is almost as programable as a stand alone (I used to have a power fc).
Old 06-19-2006, 08:59 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Sweet mod... LSX motors are wonderful... and the LSX pcm is basically a stand alone from the factory.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Slow ass car

Mongoose87 has disabled reputation

Awesome project.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
sounds like a semi

Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX Homemade WRX

I really do love these swaps...you put in a beautiful aluminum torque monster in a lightweight, great handling chassis...
together you get a lightweight, well balanced car with gobs of low end torque!!

Quick Reply: How much torque is too much?- Project LSX-7