Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

how many are interested in road racing?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Old Guy with a Miata

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnnyZoomNow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lightningd
Have you been out to the ACU-4 events?
I started with this years novice cone clinic and haven’t missed any after that. I also run at Pungo with ODR, though I did have to miss one of those events because of work. My times are terrible but I’m enjoying the challenge to improve them. Say hi next time you are out there, I’m the only one running a yellow Miata right now.

Ok, back to the more exciting topic of wheel to wheel road racing and who is interested in it.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Re: how many are interested in road racing?

Originally Posted by eg6_bryan
I'm very interested, and have been. I really wanna head down there by next year when I have better wheels/tires etc etc
have you been to the track at all yet? even just to watch and drink beer on sat. night?

Originally Posted by Axelerate
Oh the usual, money. Life issues get in the way and I still have some rather expensive things to purchase still. Plus, I am still getting the car sorted and hitting the tire wall at Summit last August really set me back. I was about to purchase a transponder, but then my gas tank decided it didn't want to work that well any more. So, I had to use that money to get a new tank.

Soon enough I will be out with the other mid pack Spec e30 guys.
what? money? there's plenty of that to go around, lol. no but seriously, i had similar issues when i bought my car. replacing parts and troubleshooting problems. i had the drop the gas tank in mine to check the fuel pump and ended up breaking a corroded fuel line--the hard line that goes to the fuel filter in the engine bay. anyways, once you get your novice license, just concentrate on getting those first 4 clean races in to get your provisional license. you'll get faster just by the nature being on track with close competition.

if you need some parts, like the transponder, check out roadraceautox.com 's classified section.

Originally Posted by JohnnyZoomNow
I started with this years novice cone clinic and haven’t missed any after that. I also run at Pungo with ODR, though I did have to miss one of those events because of work. My times are terrible but I’m enjoying the challenge to improve them. Say hi next time you are out there, I’m the only one running a yellow Miata right now.

Ok, back to the more exciting topic of wheel to wheel road racing and who is interested in it.
oh ok. i usually instruct at the clinic, but work gets me on saturdays quite a bit. they always 'need' me they say. well i'm glad to see you're having fun. you should try to spectate a track weekend with NASA and get a ride-along, or even to go the VIR Rolex event when it comes to VIR. beware of the bug though, it leaves a nasty bite
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

asininedervish asininedervish asininedervish asininedervish

not just HPDE, are you thinking about getting into wheel to wheel eventually?
Without a second vehicle, i dont think i would make that jump. Seems like your risk would increase, just by the nature of competing. If i picked up some beater though, it certainly seems like a blast.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:09 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally Posted by asininedervish
Without a second vehicle, i dont think i would make that jump. Seems like your risk would increase, just by the nature of competing. If i picked up some beater though, it certainly seems like a blast.
HPDE's are not competition, and 90% of people starting out at the track do so in their daily drivers.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:15 PM

impound has disabled reputation

Schedule conflicts and $ are keeping me from getting on track. My goal is to do one HPDE this season.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

i guess i worded the question wrong. i was asking who was seriously considering or would like to some day get into wheel to wheel road racing. Mainly to see on this forum people like shawn22 who are interested but aren't sure where to go with it.
Like Shawn I have a stock miata (now with suspension, and r compounds) if it goes in a wall .... sure ill be upset, BUT thats MAINLY the reason I bought it was to beat the ever living shit out of it on the track. I do occasionally drive it as a daily, but do have other daily options if something were to happen to it.

Im up in the air and only time and money will chose my path. At this point id like to set a goal to EVENTUALLY run CMC, that means work my way through DE, comp school .... OBVIOUSLY build a car for CMC, those cars are cheaper than the AI cars and its ALOT more realistic for me than AI.

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT

My girl is doing a hyperdrive next weekend, if she ends up liking it then I will probally look into building a mustang strictly for the track for me to race with next year and let her take over the miata.

As of now my goal further down the road is CMC, but may end up just doing TT for a while .... like I said only time and money will tell.

I do know that im fucking hooked, im pretty sure the girl will get hooked which makes the whole race weekend thing alot easier to do especially since I go with a group of close friends that are dedicated racers.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:04 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

Originally Posted by asininedervish
it is a blast like nothing else. drag racing times a million. like brett said, most people started off with their daily doing hpde's, as i did. it is always nice to know you have a second car in case the track cars breaks though.

Originally Posted by impound
Schedule conflicts and $ are keeping me from getting on track. My goal is to do one HPDE this season.
i remember those daily. a big part of the reason i have the job i do now is because i could have weekends off, heh. my first year, i only did one, and progressed an additional event each year. try to save up and get that first event in

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
Like Shawn I have a stock miata (now with suspension, and r compounds) if it goes in a wall .... sure ill be upset, BUT thats MAINLY the reason I bought it was to beat the ever living shit out of it on the track. I do occasionally drive it as a daily, but do have other daily options if something were to happen to it.

Im up in the air and only time and money will chose my path. At this point id like to set a goal to EVENTUALLY run CMC, that means work my way through DE, comp school .... OBVIOUSLY build a car for CMC, those cars are cheaper than the AI cars and its ALOT more realistic for me than AI.

ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THAT

My girl is doing a hyperdrive next weekend, if she ends up liking it then I will probally look into building a mustang strictly for the track for me to race with next year and let her take over the miata.

As of now my goal further down the road is CMC, but may end up just doing TT for a while .... like I said only time and money will tell.

I do know that im fucking hooked, im pretty sure the girl will get hooked which makes the whole race weekend thing alot easier to do especially since I go with a group of close friends that are dedicated racers.
i would think you could pick up a built CMC car for cheap also. if you talk to some people i the class, they may know some people who are selling. btw, having a girl that likes going helps out things all around, heh.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

CMC or AI or AIX is my eventual goal, but I'll be in the Chevy Camp! But it won't be in the car I have now for AutoX, it'll be a beater firebird or camaro that's not worth near as much as my WS6.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 AM
co driver

found a pretty good link from roadraceautox.com for anyone who's looking for info, http://www.goaheadtakethewheel.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

yes i'll be there. i get back in town on the 20th, so i have two days to cram. are you going to be in stinger? i need to tuck into your draft to keep the sentras behind me, haha. I think Xavier is just doing instructing, maybe time trials. I think he's still trying to get some stuff together before he does the comp school. BTW, i've moved out and am renting my own house now so i have my own garage
I missed this post....
Cool glad you will be back out on track. And no HC 1-2 will be in Thunder again and this time I'll be better prepaired. I saw that X was instructing and running time trials so thats cool....

And congrats on the move, a garage is an awsome thing to have!!!!

Quick Reply: how many are interested in road racing?