Go Back  VADriven.com Forums > Automotive Forums > The Twisties
help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car. >

help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car.

Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car.

Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 AM
my name is andy.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks
Default help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car.

A few weeks ago I picked up a mkii vw gti for cheapcheap. Since then I've stripped the interior, coilovers, sway bars, and some other minor things. Nothing done to the motor, stock 16v.
Also a corbeau seat, 5 point, and other safety things. Think fwd, 2300lbs, 180ish HP.

I planned on just driving it around driftwater events to improve my car control skills, but I've been looking more and more into getting serious about some sort of autox or club type racing. I've been trying to read up on the autox classes but I've literally no idea which one my car would be competitive in. I can really find any build threads on vw forums for autox for reference, kids are too busy hellaflushing cars.

Lemme know if you have any advice, suggestions, links on reading material, etc for someone new to this haha.

Last edited by Fiziks; 11-27-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:07 AM
Eat A Dick

Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff Riff Raff
Default Re: help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car.

I wanna see you're place on christmas sheesh, how do fit a roll cage under the tree?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:17 AM
my name is andy.

Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks Fiziks

Slash he's just gonna gimmie $400for a used one online hahaha
Old 11-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

I believe you'd be classed as SCCA E-Prepared (EP) class for ODR-SCCA, TSCC and VMSC autocrosses. (NASA uses a different points-based system; you'd have to tally all your mods up.) EP allows for a lot of performance modifications you didn't mention, so you won't be as competitive as others who have maxed out their cars for their respective classes. You'd probably be more competitive if you put your interior back in, as you could run in a lower class. Still, locally, few people actually have maxed out their cars, and drivers' skill trumps car prep. Regardless of how competitive your car is, autocross is a terrific way to learn car control. Personally, if I were you, I'd run as-is on street tires for a season and work on improving your skill, and then go from there if you want to get serious about it and max out the car for autocross. A number of items are mutually exclusive between autocross and track (roll cages and suspension tuning, for instance), so you'll have to pick one or the other to optimize your car to. But a lot of other things you can do will help your car for both. Honestly, suspension and weight reduction are the biggest things you can do for autocross, far more important than horsepower, and you've already done those.

NASA has an autocross coming up in Richmond Jan 15th at VMP; the other clubs will start their next season in March. Most of the events are posted here, but you can also check out the http://autocross.us/ forums.

Last edited by sjfehr; 12-01-2011 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:42 AM
Went Full Retard

VAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these partsVAVolvo is infamous around these parts

Here is a link to a website that has helped me a great deal:

http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets.html
Old 12-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Cone Abuser

Brickboi has disabled reputation

Being a VW guy who has piloted many in autox, I strongly suggest you put the interior back in there. The car will not be competitive in that form in this day and age. I recommend selling the coilovers, as; I am sure they are off the shelf either too stiff springs or too soft. I have seen people waste money on these sets. Do this instead: mk3 vr6 springs, vr6 strut mounts, Koni adjustible struts, R32/audi tt front control arm rear bushings, poly engine mount inserts (makes a hell of alot difference on course), 15 inch wheels , vr6 front swaybar, larger rear sway bar or poor man way - find a mk2 jetta and swap rear axle beams. Doing all of this will keep you in a fair class. The engine is the least thing to worry about.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
Lemme know if you have any advice, suggestions, links on reading material, etc for someone new to this haha.
Make it reliable, and make it turn (both can be difficult/expensive with Volkswagens.) Get lots of seat time, worry about classing and everything else later.

Specifically make it not understeer horribly. Stock front bar and as much negative camber as you can get up front?
Old 12-19-2011, 04:19 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Sell it and buy an E30 or Miata?
Don't go down the road of trying to make an FF fast.I have exactly 200% more fun driving our RWD Lemons car than I do driving my shitbox.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:05 AM

SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol SoloSol

Ill sell you an E30..

Seriously though. Look at running NASA autox or HPDE's. The classing is done on a points system. Instead on getting hammered by the scca trying to fit into a class where your car is competitive, We give you an easy way to play with your car as is.
Nasa classing is sort of like a performance envelope. Similar cars are given a base class and then mods incur a points penalty. Sometimes you can mod the heck out of a car and only move up one class from your base. Who knows you could have the overdog for where you end up and be able to kick everyones butt.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:49 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Chump Car.

Quick Reply: help me decide what direction to go in with my cheap track car.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: