Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Falken Azenias VS Kuhmo Ecsta MX

Old 12-10-2002, 08:07 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default Falken Azenias VS Kuhmo Ecsta MX

Ok the topic is simple.

I have decided that tires are the most important thing you can do for AutoX!! But, I dont have the funds to get a whole second set of rims and tires. So I would like your opinions about the Azeina, and the Ecsta MX. I know the Falkens are very good can anyone say anything about the Ecsta's.

Thanx
Michael

Red SpecV
Old 12-10-2002, 08:21 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

well, some 90% of national entries in STS ran the faulkens. the results page has what tire everyone was running
Old 12-10-2002, 08:27 PM
spin baby spin

ZoomZoomH is an unknown quantity at this point

Azenis ownz all street tire classes
Old 12-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Yeah I saw that but I have to use them a daily drivers also so if I burn them up in like 9 months I didnt do anything because with that $ I could have had a second set of rims and tires. But, because of the Nationals results I am thinking real, real hard about this.
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 PM
spin baby spin

ZoomZoomH is an unknown quantity at this point

i see...

yeah Azenis are excellent dry tires, but I've heard it's ATROCIOUS (sp?) in wet/ice/snow. I would not recommend them as daily tires.

I don't think the Ecsta MX are really good in bad weather either, maybe slightly better than Azenis.

you probably want to keep a set of rims/tires just for autoxing, and another for daily driving...
Old 12-10-2002, 08:38 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Well if I did burn them up all I would have to do is buy a second set of rims and put the stock Conti's I'm useing now on, for daily. And, get some traction additive to fresh'n up the Azenias. Ooooooooh I like this idea, can you tell I'm trying to rationalize this.

Thanx
Michael
Old 12-10-2002, 08:40 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

i run yokohama paradas and they are spetacular daily driven tires. esp. great in the rain as a proved last month. also, they last a fairly good amount of time. they are pretty good in the dry too, but i can't compare them to grip w/ the azenis b/c i haven't raced using the azenis.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:50 AM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

In the future I plan on getting a set of 16" wheels with Azenis just for autocross use. 16's would be lighter and cheaper for both tires and rims. Something to think about.

But, if you want a dual use tire then both the Parada Spec 2 and the AVS ES-100 are good tires and do really well in the wet.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:19 AM

JRSCdSi is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been running the Azenis as my street tire and autocross tire for a little while now. I've gotten about 9 or 10 autocrosses and 5000 miles from them. One pair is close to the tread bar, the other is holding up better (rotate them more often then I did... once). I don't know that you could go to every local autocross event, and get 10,000 miles of street tire use out of them... maybe, it would be close. It depends more on your driving style on the course and street, and how heavy your car is. They are great tires for the money though. You will be very satisfied. Try to find a good shop to install them. The sidewalls are VERY stiff, and there will be a lot of swearing and prybar use getting them on. They are also VERY wide. Wider than their rating. I'm running the 205/50-15's on my stock Si wheels, and there's no 205 on the market that is as wide as these things! I've seen side by side comparisons with the Kumho 712's, and these had around 3/8th of an inch in width over the Kumhos.

Edit: Also, these tires are fantastic in the wet. Don't believe the nay-sayers. They aren't good across puddles at 70 mph, but what tire is? Of course they aren't good in the snow, no high performance tire is designed with snow in mind. But in wet road conditions, the Azenis are incredible. I can flat out get on my car in the wet, and they won't break loose. Breaking and cornering are great in the wet also.

Last edited by JRSCdSi; 12-11-2002 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:01 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

Hey I'm with you on the smaller rim thing but I was told the car would be in DSP because I changed from the "factory" rim size. I dont have a hand book but that seems to be the answer that keeps coming up. I was thinking of getting the Team Dymacics ProRace 1 rims in 16 then the Falkens to stay in STX(after I got my GC. which now on the back burner for new tires). I called Team Dynamic USA and every thing but my bubble was popped on Sunday, when I started asking around.
Here is something else. Are thw Kuhmo V700 a tire that can be run in an "X" street tire class, or would I just stay in DS with no X?

Thanx to all who have posted
Michael

Quick Reply: Falken Azenias VS Kuhmo Ecsta MX