Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Extremely n00b - Define "Auto-X"

Old 12-08-2003, 08:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Desolate_Flux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Extremely n00b - Define "Auto-X"

Why is it called AutoX?

What is it, just racing around a windy track, trying to accomplish the best time?

I only started drag racing last year, and I'm only now starting to get into this sport

So, to a n00b, what is AutoX?
Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

why do they call motocross, motocross, rallycross rallycross? not sure exactly what crossing is, but b/c it's 'auto' we use cars, heh.

the scca calls it Solo II. you run around a course made up of cones by yourself, competing for best times. there is a handicap system based on what kind of car and what kind of mods you have. obviously, you don't need a handicap b/c you drive an SS
Old 12-08-2003, 10:18 AM

Desolate_Flux is an unknown quantity at this point

lol I dont know, something tells me my car handles pretty shitty compared to... hell, even a civic
Old 12-08-2003, 11:39 AM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Extremely n00b - Define "Auto-X"

Originally posted by Desolate_Flux
Why is it called AutoX?

What is it, just racing around a windy track, trying to accomplish the best time?

I only started drag racing last year, and I'm only now starting to get into this sport

So, to a n00b, what is AutoX?
Well here is a good description of what they are:

http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr/page1.html

As to why it is called autocross??? I am not sure. In England they have a sport called autocross that has been run for a very long time. It is much more like using cars for a motocross. It is offroad racing on a fairly small dirt road racing course for lack of a better description.

Originally in the US they were called gymkanahs and I have no idea how the term autocross got applied to the events we know. SCCA pretty much always refered to them as Solo events.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:34 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Re: Re: Extremely n00b - Define "Auto-X"

Originally posted by roadRacer
[B]As to why it is called autocross??? I am not sure. In England they have a sport called autocross that has been run for a very long time. It is much more like using cars for a motocross. It is offroad racing on a fairly small dirt road racing course for lack of a better description.
in an issue of European Car i read a couple months ago, they called that rallycross, if we're thinking of the same thing. the cars they used were basically vamped up rally cars making 500-600hp.