Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Complete n00b advice for drifting

Old 07-14-2009, 01:17 PM
Brofecta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX
Default Complete n00b advice for drifting

Situation - Looking for some advice on how I should get involved in some drifting events.
I see the events all the time but they seem pretty overwhelming for a beginner like myself. I have never seen any track time and honestly drive my cars responsibly all the time on public roads - so I wouldn't say I'd be 100% comfortable in a track situation . What I'm looking for is a great beginner-friendly event and maybe a ride-along or two at said events for some tips to get me in the right direction.
Car - Right now I have a AE86 with very minor work done to suspension and power and a Twin Turbo Z32. Both are in great shape and I would assume they would be fine to pass tech inspection - however I know nothing about that either. Could someone let me know what I should double check to make sure my car will be allowed into an event?
I have a spare full set of wheels for the AE86 with tires. Would this be enough rubber to bring for a day of drifting? Also what else should I be expected to bring? I really have no clue what I need so I'd like to start gathering stuff in the next couple of weeks.
The AE86 is my daily driver - would you suggest still using it?
Thanks in advance and sorry for so many questions. Just trying to figure out where to start.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Half-fast has disabled reputation
Default Re: Complete n00b advice for drifting

I would start by checking in here http://www.slidewaysonline.com/forum3.0/index.php

There are sometimes training sessions offered at Summit Point that will get you the basics. You can find info on this here http://www.driftnirvana.dreamhosters.com/

Last edited by Half-fast; 07-15-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28
Default Re: Complete n00b advice for drifting

I felt the exact same way a few months ago. Go to the events page and look at the Driftwater 3 thread. I went to the first 2 and they were a blast, they are my first and only track experiences. I daily drive (when it works) my 240, and I took it out there and had a blast. Everyone out there is really chill, just ask someone if you can ride with them and they'll be more than happy to show you how it's done. I had someone ride with me at the first one, having someone tell me what lines to take helped immensely. I'd had my car sideways before so I knew the gist of it, but there is so much more than just being able to get sideways. By the end of the 2nd event I was practically linking the entire track. It's an awesome event, I suggest you sign up for the next one.

Tech inspection - Not much to it. Here's a quick run-down.

Wheels - Are they on tight?
Seats - Are they secure? Do they shake?
Engine - Does it run? No excessively leaking fluids.
Brakes - Just like state inspection, have to have life left in the pads.
Battery - Is it tied down securely?

That's about it, just sign up and have a blast.