Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

which car?

Old 04-17-2009, 05:29 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zx3freak has disabled reputation
Default which car?

I am new to autocross and am debating what to get for a first car. I was looking for something basic, easy to work on, and cheap parts would be ideal. I wanted a se-r but seems like they are expensive or ragged out. I am looking at 2 rx7's though. I can get a 88 rx7 vert with 94,000 miles for a trade for a spare xbox 360 I have. It needs a new top and the interior is shot from the leak. I found a 84 rx7 with 140,000 miles and runs good and looks pretty decent overall. What would be my best choice?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:32 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Re: which car?

Either way you'll be devoting alot of time/money into the car. So go with the one you like most and you won't mind being in/working on constantly. And figure out which one is easier to get parts for.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by ufctapout
Either way you'll be devoting alot of time/money into the car. So go with the one you like most and you won't mind being in/working on constantly. And figure out which one is easier to get parts for.
He wont be spending any more time and money on the car than if were just daily driving it. Autocrossing is very low budget to get started in. To the OP just make sure your car is safe and not leaking anything and you are good to go.

IMO just get a honda
Old 04-17-2009, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Well I dont have a lot of start up cash so i don't know if I could get a honda. Also I know jack shit either way on imports. So mazda, honda, etc is all new territory to me. The 84 the guys want my spare beater truck (82 chevy c10 shortbed) So either car is pretty cheap up front and I have a dd anyways so even if I only get a season or 2 out of it im fine.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:34 AM
LOL@DrivenThugtards.

SSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to allSSSupra is a name known to all

Honda or miata.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:01 AM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22

Do you know anything about RX-7s?

I don't, so I wouldn't want to try to keep one running.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:03 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by zx3freak
Well I dont have a lot of start up cash so i don't know if I could get a honda. Also I know jack shit either way on imports. So mazda, honda, etc is all new territory to me. The 84 the guys want my spare beater truck (82 chevy c10 shortbed) So either car is pretty cheap up front and I have a dd anyways so even if I only get a season or 2 out of it im fine.
Dude, just get what you can and go and play. As long its safe and not pukeing fluid its cool. I said get a honda as a joke because I just like them alot.. Super reliable and cheap parts.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:05 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by vbspec
He wont be spending any more time and money on the car than if were just daily driving it. Autocrossing is very low budget to get started in. To the OP just make sure your car is safe and not leaking anything and you are good to go.

IMO just get a honda
K. I was just assuming if he got into it and liked it, he'd start buying this part and that part. Might as well buy something you like up front rather than upgrading a car you don't like.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

Originally Posted by zx3freak
I am new to autocross and am debating what to get for a first car. I was looking for something basic, easy to work on, and cheap parts would be ideal. I wanted a se-r but seems like they are expensive or ragged out. I am looking at 2 rx7's though. I can get a 88 rx7 vert with 94,000 miles for a trade for a spare xbox 360 I have. It needs a new top and the interior is shot from the leak. I found a 84 rx7 with 140,000 miles and runs good and looks pretty decent overall. What would be my best choice?
first goto www.rx7club.com and read up on the cars
basic and easy to work on you want the 84 RX-7, assuming it's got the 12A motor
that FC vert will be a money pit - it's faster and will handle better but $$$

your best bet would be to pick up an early first gen Miata
Old 04-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

why would the vert be a money pit? How much do first gen miata's go for?

Quick Reply: which car?