Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.
View Poll Results: Which tire do you recommend?
BFG G-force KDWS
30.00%
Nitto Extreme DR (if you like different series, explain below)
70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

BFG vs Nitto for MKIV

Old 02-16-2004, 06:07 AM
Ghost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default BFG vs Nitto for MKIV

Yes, it's yet another "which tire is better" poll/thread. I have done some research on these, and it really seems to be that they are a damn close match-up. These will (for now) just be for my rears, size = 275/40ZR17. Here is where I'm at right now:

The Nittos are very soft and grippy when heated up, not so much when cold/normal...requiring a burn-out before a run. Not a fan of that idea, especially at an auto-x. NOt sure if the sidewalls are as strong as the BFGs, but they look grippier overall.

The BFGs got great ratings for wet and dry, and this sounds appealing since when I'm not racing, I will often have my family in the car with me (Sunday drives and such). They sound preferred for hard cornering (over Nittos), and wear better. This may sound dumb and superficial, but they really are ugly as hell, and this kinda is a considertion for me...however if the BFGs outperform the Nittos that much, so be it.

Vote and post opinions, facts, stories alike! Thanks for the help, see you at the track.
-MerF
Old 02-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Ghost

Default Re: BFG vs Nitto for MKIV

2 for NIttos...no explanations. bump
Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 AM
I'm audi5000.

nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere.

FINALLY!

haha
Old 02-16-2004, 12:37 PM
Biding time

montman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these partsmontman is infamous around these parts

I have nitto 555R DR's on now and like you said you do have to heat them up a bit.
When it is very cold out they are kinda hard.

Also how many miles do the KD's last?
The nittos wont last that long esp. if you are doing burnouts constantly but I do think they are a bit cheaper than the BFG's.

*edit - I have never auto-x'd so my opinions are based on straight line accel.

Last edited by montman; 02-16-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2004, 01:10 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Are you looking for a tire you can drive to an autox on, and daily drive?

In the long run its cheaper, way cheaper to spend the money on a second set of wheels and a tire like the Kumho VictorRacer. Here is how its cheaper. Either tire you are looking at is going to be the same price or close to the Victo, thats a given. But if you put a soft street tire on the car in 10k miles and 12 autox events its time for new tires. With a harder street tire, and a race tire that can be put on the car at home and drive to the event with in 10 months its a wash. Lots of guys do this. Plus your times will be better and you will be able to better control the car.

Its just my oppinion, but ask anyone who has seen me get bit by the AutoX but over the last year I have bought 4 sets of wheels and tires (and a autox only car). If you can afford it a second set of tires is the way to go...

Michael
Old 02-16-2004, 02:53 PM
Ghost

Originally Posted by vbspec
If you can afford it a second set of tires is the way to go...
For sure...I have definitely considered this, it's on my mind. Basically, the car won't even be a daily driver as of next month. She will be parked (if I still own her ) in the garage and come out for an occasional nice weekend cruise or meet. I'm not downplaying the advantages to having a street set and a race set, but for now, I'd like opinions on the best of street/track (one set), with emphasis on track performance. Thanks so far to the voters!
Old 02-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Ok when you say "track" do you mean road/autox or drag?

As a STS driver the most dominate tires have been the Kumho MX and the Falken Azenis. Well the Azenis only come in a 225/45/17 and the MX come in a 245/40/17 for only $129. So if you are looking for a road/autox tire this is "the" tire. They work very well in both wet and dry. I would switch over if I had the money.

Check out www.tirerack.com they have both the BFG and the Kumho's
Old 02-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Autocross Hack

Ed94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these partsEd94R is infamous around these parts

Some people run either the Victoracers or the V700's on the street as their primary tire. With only occasional use, these ought to last you at least a year. Plus, they are WAY cheaper in Supercar Sizes than BFG KD's, Toyo T1S's, Goodyear F1's, Michelin Sport's etc...

Something to consider...

PS: I don't know your size requirement, but you also may want to consider the TOYO RA1. It's a very forgiving and well lasting R tire that _I Hear_lasts more than a MX or an Azeni and outgrips them both...

Ed
Old 02-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

My BFG KDWS got 2 1/2 years and 40 plus track passes. They have a treadware rating of 400 traction of a AA and temperature of a A on the UTQG.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:14 PM
Ghost

I did mean aotux/drag. And BTW, those two tires are pretty much all I'm going to be looking at since those were the ones I was offered in that size at the time, so it's pretty much down to those two. Although I haev heard about the Kuhmos, I'm going to more than likely stick to one of these two. Thanks again, keep 'em coming.

Quick Reply: BFG vs Nitto for MKIV