Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

auto cross turbo or supercharger

Old 08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stynd003 has disabled reputation
Default auto cross turbo or supercharger

for auto cross racing should i use a supercharger or turbo it will go on a k20a2 motor
Old 08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well
Default Re: auto cross turbo or supercharger

Originally Posted by stynd003 View Post
for auto cross racing should i use a supercharger or turbo it will go on a k20a2 motor
tuned all motor k in autox will be the charm. but thats not an option.

i'd say supercharger as coming out of turns it will be more predictable and give you more low end torque
Old 08-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A small turbo could do well also, if you can keep it spooled during the times you'll need it. Most of that will come down to engine load. A supercharger is nice also though, but I agree that all motor is pretty sick too. The answer is that all of the options can be made to work (and work well) if properly done.

If this car will be used for anything other than autocross, for example street driving, I'd choose the option that will make you happiest on the street. I'm not a firm believer in optimizing cars for autocross use if that compromises the other uses for the car. So if you want a powerful street car to run around town with, make a powerful street car to run around town with and then have fun autocrossing with it occasionally.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-23-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:02 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 View Post
A small turbo could do well also, if you can keep it spooled during the times you'll need it. Most of that will come down to engine load. A supercharger is nice also though, but I agree that all motor is pretty sick too. The answer is that all of the options can be made to work (and work well) if properly done.
as always i agree.

i had a very small turbo on 8 and 10 psi last season and i enjoyed what it brought to the table. Be careful with power adders as they can quickly change your race class.

next season and from now on out i will be running all motor. possible 1cam build to keep within specs. its all about maintaining speed and enertia through every turn and linking them together. a bunch of the beach vette club guys that come out with their built motor early model vettes that still have facory suspension components take the corners slow and spin tires a good bit down the straights. when i ran stock single cam in my 93 i did much better than the higher hp guys because i concentrated on keeping flow and not relying on the power i didnt have. you will find that power is not always the key, especially when you cannot put it to the ground in an effective manner. FWD with excess power will push out in corners killing your times.

Have you run the car all motor at the track? you will be pleasently suprised
Old 08-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Oh, and you'll want a limited slip, that's generally the most effective way to put power down properly with a front wheel drive car. Glad B-Well brought that up.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 AM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Be careful what mods you do- if you want to stay competitive, the best mod might be to skip the turbo/supercharger altogether and just stay stock, as either will bump you WAY up in class. If you do make mods like this, make sure to optimize for your class as well (suspension, LSD, lightweight racing seats, remove the AC, remove the radio, gut the interior, etc), or you'll end up in a tough class with too slow of a car.

Or if you just want this for the street and autocross for fun, don't worry about being competitive- do what you want for the street, and just come and flog it on raceday
Old 08-24-2009, 06:41 AM
ermahgerd

bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada bumada

Power gainers are not going to improve your times significantly. So neither of them will be the best option. Suspension, tires, and suspension geometry will be your biggest upgrade. I drive a sub 100hp car and have broken into the top 5 at pungo the past few events.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Thats a big old neither!!!! Unless you plan on cutting the shit out of your fenders and running crazy wide R compounds. If you don't you will be slow because you will have no traction and will be super pissed when an EF with a D16A on street tires kicks the crap out of you. Big power is lost on a FWD car because your front wheels are doing too much. With out wide sticky tires you will have to wait to put the power down. What I mean is that in a low traction FWD car (high HP no big tires) the your front tires can only do so much they will either give you traction in a straight line (to a point) or in a corner (to a point) but never will the two at the same time. Thus a larger traction patch is required.

Sorry this is kind choppy but basically its the whole "friction circle" idea.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

so should i leave my slow stang NA? i am still working the kinks out of my coil overs and front geometry.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:45 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Originally Posted by quick26 View Post
so should i leave my slow stang NA? i am still working the kinks out of my coil overs and front geometry.
If your on street tires then yes. I think I did a ride along with a woman in your car. The Porsche that she and her husband run picked up a nail and you lent her your car that was really cool.

Quick Reply: auto cross turbo or supercharger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: