Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

any suggestions on sway bars/strut bars and lower tie bars?

Old 12-16-2003, 05:53 PM
Eat me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default any suggestions on sway bars/strut bars and lower tie bars?

well here's the deal, i'm going to fix my car up just for autocross. so right now i'm trying to finish my suspension. i have tokico illumina 1.5" lowering springs and the tokico illumina 5 way adjustable shocks already.
swaybars- i was thinking on getting the eibach, what do you all think is one of the better brands of sway bars? or any others that you all have tried and recommended?
strut bars/lower tie bars - i think i'm just gonna shell out the money and buy all 4 that are made by Spoon sports. yea i know they're a little pricey but oh well, i'm going to have enough money to cover them easily between my job and what i have right now. any suggestions on the strutbars/lower tie bars would be appreciated.

what other parts would you all reccomend getting(non-engine mods) besides good grippy tires? and can u give an estimated price on how much they would cost? thanks

-Jimmy
Old 12-16-2003, 06:01 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

I think you are waisting your money on brand name strut and tie bars. Suspension bushings will stiffen up the suspension way moore than any tie bar braces.

What are you trying to do with the car? I mean are you trying to build a car that will be competative or a more fun car to drive when you come out and play.

If you are building for a class, what have you done to the car?

Michael

91 Civic Si STS
Old 12-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta

Originally posted by vbspec
What are you trying to do with the car? I mean are you trying to build a car that will be competative or a more fun car to drive when you come out and play.
basically just go out to the auto-x events at pungo and see how i do against other cars. i guess that would be a more fun car to drive wihen i come out and play. i just like taking quick turns and when i started hearing about autocross, it sounded like something i would really want to do with my car.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
Eat me.

bump
Old 12-16-2003, 08:34 PM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

why did you bump a thread in the autox section?

anyways, i would have went with different springs (although i don't know much about the spring rates, i'm wouldn't be surpised if they aren't really what you would be looking for.) GCs with your own custom springs rates are the way to go IMO.

Swaybars: I use a Suspension Techniques rear sway bar and I like it. I've also heard Progress Springs makes a good sway bar as well. As far as the front, leave it stock for autox.

Strut bars: I half agree w/ mike on this one. I do think it's a waste of money to buy the name brand stuff. However, i do think there is a bigger benifit that what he imagines. i know a lot of accord guys get them and like them, especially in the rear.

Tie bar: i don't think anyone really knows if they are worth it.

and as Mike said, i would definitely recommend some polyurethane bushings. autox puts your bushings through hell, so it's good to have some quality stuff in there. and they also make the car a lot more responsive as opposed to mushy.

hope i helped out.
Old 12-17-2003, 03:27 AM
Eat me.

thanks man, where is a good place to order the bushings that you all are talking about? and how much should i expect on paying for them?
i had been thinking about getting new Tein springs in the near future, but are they as good as everyone makes them out to be?

thanks again
Old 12-17-2003, 09:50 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

ebay. about $100ish.

teins? i haven't really dealt with them that much in a race setting so i can't say much. i'm pretty sure they are good quality though.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Registered Loser

maxQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lightningd

Tie bar: i don't think anyone really knows if they are worth it.
FWIW, my BMW has a front tie bar... stock. I was under there the other day and grabbed it to slide myself and then noticed it, "Huh."

Might be different for FWD. *shrug*
Old 12-17-2003, 12:37 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Tie Bars can make a noticable difference on a car. I would not spend big money on one sence all the good designs get copied and then sold for 1/4 the price of the original. IMHO I would rate ST sway bars pretty low in quality (I have one sitting in my garage that is about 1/2 or more inch's off), then up from there Eibach, then Progress and several other much higher. Again it varies a bit from car to car.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:46 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Well if you have the coin I would drop the money on good tires. Tires can and will drop over a second as compaired to the best street tire. And its super tough to drop a second even after you have been doing this for a while.

Here are a few ways to go...

If you want to have tires to daily drive and be competative get either the Falken Azenis, or Kuhmo MX. $300-$400 -.5 sec over standard street tire

If you have it alittle worse some steelies and R compounds like the Kumho Ecsta V700 or Victor Racer. $450-$500 -1.5+ sec over standard street tire

Ok if you have it really bad some super light wheels and the same Kumho tires. $1000++++++ -2+ sec over standard street tire

BUT............................................... .................

Seat time is the best way to drop your times.

If you have any questions or need help at the event look us up. I drive a teal 91 Civic Si hb, and I dont mind helping those who ask.

Michael

Last edited by vbspec; 12-17-2003 at 01:49 PM.

Quick Reply: any suggestions on sway bars/strut bars and lower tie bars?