Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

advice on a car that handles

Old 03-12-2004, 09:58 AM
I drive real slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subaruboy has disabled reputation
Default advice on a car that handles

howdy...

im going to a car auction in virginia beach next weekend and im looking for some advice as to what i should look out for. It's going to be my daily driver, but I also wouldn't mind getting into a little auto-x or something along those lines. i need suggestions as to what cars handle pretty good with thier stock suspension setup. my preference as you all might gather is subaru... so naturally im gonna be looking for any of them, any generation... just not the legacy wagon.

----------------------------------------------------

what else tho? brands that i don't want any advice on:

american cars, except mopar. tho i don't want a neon

hondas. i respect all you honda lovers out there and im sure your cars are cool, but they're not for me. i'll never drive one as long as i live if i can help it.

of course no kias no hyundais except maybe the tiburon? anyone get any stories/ opinions on it?

-----------------------------------------------------

i don't really care for toyotas but im open to suggestions.

i like nissans but my total driving experience in them is a couple minutes in an old 240sx. so any advice towards nissans/ stories/ suspension info is appreciated.

im open to suggestions on mazdas i guess, even tho they're still ford. i dunno... you all decide?

i guess i've been pretty specific on makes of cars sorry... but i mean i guess i'll take suggestions from all sides and all brands except like i said before i'll never ever drive a honda.

thanks guys...
Old 03-12-2004, 10:26 AM
go topless.

BillMW has disabled reputation
Default Re: advice on a car that handles

Originally Posted by subaruboy
howdy...

im going to a car auction in virginia beach next weekend and im looking for some advice as to what i should look out for. It's going to be my daily driver, but I also wouldn't mind getting into a little auto-x or something along those lines. i need suggestions as to what cars handle pretty good with thier stock suspension setup. my preference as you all might gather is subaru... so naturally im gonna be looking for any of them, any generation... just not the legacy wagon.

----------------------------------------------------

what else tho? brands that i don't want any advice on:

american cars, except mopar. tho i don't want a neon

hondas. i respect all you honda lovers out there and im sure your cars are cool, but they're not for me. i'll never drive one as long as i live if i can help it.

of course no kias no hyundais except maybe the tiburon? anyone get any stories/ opinions on it?

-----------------------------------------------------

i don't really care for toyotas but im open to suggestions.

i like nissans but my total driving experience in them is a couple minutes in an old 240sx. so any advice towards nissans/ stories/ suspension info is appreciated.

im open to suggestions on mazdas i guess, even tho they're still ford. i dunno... you all decide?

i guess i've been pretty specific on makes of cars sorry... but i mean i guess i'll take suggestions from all sides and all brands except like i said before i'll never ever drive a honda.

thanks guys...
Click on my sig for sale...that MR2 is simply the beast handling car I have ever driven and would eat up anything except for go carts on the auto x.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:31 AM
I drive real slow

Originally Posted by Topless350z
Click on my sig for sale...that MR2 is simply the beast handling car I have ever driven and would eat up anything except for go carts on the auto x.
nice car but too much $. i think this auction im going to is private cuz my old man said the cars go for $100 to 3 grand or so and thats right in my price range.
Old 03-12-2004, 11:21 AM

Butt Dyno is an unknown quantity at this point

-Miata
-N/A MKII MR2

Both should be in your price range, both are (somewhat) light and both are RWD and handle well.

For the love of god don't get something FWD.

john
Old 03-12-2004, 11:43 AM
I drive real slow

sadly enough i guess i most likely will end up with a FWD car... because before i can even think about auto-x, it's gotta be cheap and serve as semi-gas effiecient transportation. i would like RWD or actually AWD if i find a subie...
Old 03-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Cut,it,out

VTFrontier

id say a miata with that sort of budget. 240s handle nice with a little suspension work, decent stock.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:45 PM
Needs more poke.

Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada Tarzan Bakerada

240sx, cheap, nice looking, and no end to what u can do to them!!!
Old 03-12-2004, 01:09 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

The 240's you will find around here are beat. Work needed on them will be costly just to have the road legal let alone auto-x. Look for an MR2, they are beasts. I would tell you to keep an eye open for a Chrysler Conquest or Mitsubishi Starion.. but you won't find one. And ya, don't get a FWD if you can honestly help it.. take your time in buying a car so you will be happy with it. AWD is great for auto-x, keep an eye one some older scoobies.. the Eclipse/Talon/Laser AWD Turbo's are really nice also.. just don't try to launch one too many times until you check it out. Just some ideas.

Trevor
Old 03-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec

Miata all the way. The guys going throgh the mid life crisiss in the early 90's are tradeing them in on newer 2 seaters
Old 03-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Mr. Inconspicuous

98sr20ve is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Topless350z

Quick Reply: advice on a car that handles