Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

About to fit the Volvo for track use...any suggestions for a 1st timer?

Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 AM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Question About to fit the Volvo for track use...any suggestions for a 1st timer?

Hello all,

I've almost reached my savings goal and am about to put sum loot into my volvo. I have aspirations of tracking my car (auto-x and course, no drag) but don't know much about it, besides what I read here of course.

Besides upgraded suspension and brakes is there anything else I need to be mindful of?

i.e. special tires, rim sizes

Also which is better springs or coil-overs?

'96 850 turbo

thanks
Old 09-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

stay n/a stay n/a
Default Re: About to fit the Volvo for track use...any suggestions for a 1st timer?

1st would be remove any weight you can without affecting safety, now is this a track only car or will it still be street driven?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:00 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast
Default Re: About to fit the Volvo for track use...any suggestions for a 1st timer?

<advice>

Autocross it once without upgrading a thing, and see what needs improving.

</advice>
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
Registered member

dadocg2 has disabled reputation

good idea w/ the 850 turbo i gave 2 of them on being a t5-r, checkout ipd.com they have lots of goodies
Old 09-26-2008, 07:56 AM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

Originally Posted by getfast
<advice>

Autocross it once without upgrading a thing, and see what needs improving.

</advice>
Old 09-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Mad Scientist

WRXRacer111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure it will pass tech. Really any car you're willing to drive on the street should IMO be in a mechanical condition safe enough to pass tech. Do some events, then do a school. Do more events, then you'll have a better idea of what direction you want to take the car.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:24 PM
...pulls trailer!!!

TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8

call me
Old 09-26-2008, 05:11 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

thanks all gents. i will be in touch
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

good pads and tires and a tire pressure guage. Usually its a good idea to let a little bit of air out. otherwise have fun and add stuff later that you think it needs. those cars have a suprising amount of potential. also, for the track a good coilover set up will always be better because it allows you to easily adjust the suspension as needed. only worth the money though if you plan on doing a lot racing, imo

Last edited by POS DSM; 09-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:30 AM
at the track today?

getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast getfast

Actually for autocross or roadcourse driving, it's a good idea to put extra air in, not let it out. Unless you meant... put extra air in first, then bleed the tires down as necessary based on their wear patterns.

Also, a "good coilover set up" won't really allow you to "easily adjust the suspension as needed" after it is set up correctly the first time (i.e. cornerbalanced then aligned.) Changing ride height after initial setup can affect handling in unpredictable ways. Instead you can make plenty of handling changes with adjustable dampers and matching springs, adjustable swaybars, alignment, tire pressures, and/or driving style.

Food for thought,

Jon

Quick Reply: About to fit the Volvo for track use...any suggestions for a 1st timer?