Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Y80 5 speed transmission: what does it come out of?

Old 04-07-2007, 05:13 AM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Y80 5 speed transmission: what does it come out of?

i am pretty sure its out of an acura, but not too sure. we have this rigged swap (like 98% of them out there) that has a B18A1 in it with this trans behind it (in a 94 hatch) that i am trying like hell to find a 3-4 synchro set for due to some tard doing multiple 5-3 downshifts (lack of torque can do that to a feller!).

the last 7 doesnt match the VIN of the car, so all my cataloging systems are completely useless. i know there are a few on here that have the knowledge of what this tranny fits, and it would be appreciated if someone could give some insight as to where i need to start looking for parts.

the dealers are out of the question right of now, neither our acura nor the honda dealers are able to look up what i need, even when i give them a preceded part number. i have sources for the synchro kits, but they are leery of sending me what they list due to the fact that the trans we think is supposed to be in there with the engine is a YS1, not the Y80.

thanks
Old 04-07-2007, 07:03 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Y80 5 speed transmission: what does it come out of?

a y80 is a 94-01 acura integra GSR transmission. so you would get the parts for a just say, 98 GSR.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:20 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

thanks. isnt the GSR a DOHC VTEC?

i'm gonna go out and check the vin on the engine, i assumed it was from the same donor. cause it sure as hell aint a GSR engine.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

yes the motor if its a b18a1 is NON vtec. the tranny being a GSR tranny is a DOHC VTEC tranny. just order the tranny parts for a 94+ GSR. motor parts 94+ LS integra.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:42 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dang Yo
a y80 is a 94-01 acura integra GSR transmission. so you would get the parts for a just say, 98 GSR.
This is not correct.

The Y80 is a generation code used by honda. In fact, the Y80 was used in every B series chassis world wide from 1994 thru 1997 The Y80 also came in different configurations and had different gears ratios.

Y80 USDM 94-97 Integra LS/RS/GS Special Edition
Y80 USDM 94-97 Integra GSR
Y80 JDM 93.5-95 Civic SiR/SiG
Y80 JDM 95-97 Integra Type R

The key is to know what car it tranny came out of...or you could always pop it open and start counting teeth.

Originally Posted by fc735
thanks. isnt the GSR a DOHC VTEC?
All B series engines are DOHC as yes the GSR is Vtec

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 04-08-2007 at 06:47 AM.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM
The Pro to call.

i already have it cracked, and have the 3-4 synchro set off the mainshaft, i just need to know what to order them for. according to the breakdowns i have, the 3-4 synchro set is the shaft dog, slider, two blocker rings, two spring rings, and some of them come with the 3rd gear for the mainshaft.

it does have a ball bearing diff, not tapered cone, if that helps on figuring out what it came out of.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:36 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Originally Posted by fc735
i already have it cracked, and have the 3-4 synchro set off the mainshaft, i just need to know what to order them for. according to the breakdowns i have, the 3-4 synchro set is the shaft dog, slider, two blocker rings, two spring rings, and some of them come with the 3rd gear for the mainshaft.

it does have a ball bearing diff, not tapered cone, if that helps on figuring out what it came out of.
How many teeth are on the final drive?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:27 AM
Justa lil 6

what tranny is a y21?
Old 04-08-2007, 08:30 AM
Team Ultraspeed

From the USDM 94-97 DelSol Vtec
Old 04-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Justa lil 6

hmm it came with lsd with my swap from hmotors. thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Y80 5 speed transmission: what does it come out of?