Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

y8 head into d16y7 motor? mini me swap

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mullog has disabled reputation
Question y8 head into d16y7 motor? mini me swap

i have heard a lot about the "mini me" swap before and was wondering if any one had done it yet? what all do you need for it? ECU? will the y8 intake manifold work for it? what about getting the y8 tranny? is it that much better than the y7 tranny that its worth the money? im never gonna race it at a track, just want some more get up and go than what i got now. turbo not really an option. if any one has done it how much did it cost? how much does a y8 head cost? how easy is this swap? thank you
Old 01-17-2009, 09:00 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: y8 head into d16y7 motor? mini me swap

go to google and search it, youll get a ton of detailed write ups on mini me swaps and all the stuf youll need.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve

U should be able to find a Y8 head on here for about 50-150 bucks depending on the condition and what it comes with. Try www.d-series.org for more info.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM
h22 POWA

gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd gsr-turd

its easy, manifold will work, tranny just keep yours better gas mileage on the interstate. just get the right timing belt, and head gasket. and it isn't to hard. just time.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

yeah, i got a friend that would help me do it all, and i have been looking on Google but i keep seeing people getting a lot of problems with the check engine light and all different codes and stuff. I was just wondering if anyone here had done a swap and if they had problems with the swap. it seems pretty straight forward, i was mostly curious about what ecu to use. i think i saw like 5 different ways to do it. i just dont want to keep getting the check engine light. that my biggest worry
Old 01-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Check engine lights are only a problem if you don't use the right sensors, don't use the right ECU, don't know what you're doing, and don't pay attention to detail. This is a very easy swap compared to most of what you could do.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

yeah, im pretty good with tools. done a lot with old muscle cars and stuff like that but they didnt have computers controllers for the engines. all you needed was a flat head screw driver and you were golden. so i know i can do the head swap fairly easy, just was worried about the ecu and the CEL aspects of the swap. i dont want to put it in and need to get other parts and what not. i know this question issue has been asked a million times all over the internet, but what is the right ecu to use with the swap? get the ecu from the y8 motor, or can you use the y7 ecu?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered Member

is this swap even really wort the time an effort? i know its not a huge power gain and all that, but im short for cash and even if i can get some more power ill be happy. i know you can get the y8 head for like 100 bucks, but what about and ecu? whats that run?
Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

kwint has disabled reputation

p28's and p72's usually run for about 100 give or take. IIRC you can use the stock ecu from a 92+ civic ex without problems. Just need to wire up an o2 sensor and vtec.

Whether its worth it is subjective. You get pretty good gain and bumps up your compression.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:55 AM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Mini-me + Cam + Tuning = Decent Daily

I was thinking about this on a D16A6 block, but after reading all of the rods that get thrown with the bumped compression I'd have to pass since I don't feel like cracking the block.

These motors are under-squared, anyone trying to make N/A power out of these things would be a waste of time and monays. Look into low compression, a high-volume head, and match a turbo to your motor. D's have been know to consistently produce 200whp on stock internals with very good tuning.

With the right parts or tons of monay you can do anything.