Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

WRX INTAKE HELP ME

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757 sbdunkz757
Default WRX INTAKE HELP ME

just put in a used cold air intake i got from a friend today, he recommended it over the stock one.
i have an 02 wrx bugeye. after installing the intake i went to start the car and the car would idle for about two seconds then shut off. if i hit the gas after starting it up it would rev a little bit but it would still idle down liike its dieng and then shut off. WHYYY is this happening ????
Old 03-31-2009, 06:13 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of
Default Re: WRX INTAKE HELP ME

1) intakes not recommended
2) your maf is probably on backwards
Old 03-31-2009, 06:18 PM
wtb scoobie snacks

musicmaniac is on a distinguished road

installing an intake without any form of compensation is asking for trouble. the only intake that will not change much about how the car runs will be the spt ram or the cobb version.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

sensors..... recheck them...
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

alright well thank you
Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Stock MAF sensor tuning isn't setup to deal with different flow velocity from an aftermarket intake, which is why tuning is needed. There is probably nothing wrong with the sensor, it's the stock ECU tuning.

Look into a Cobb Accessport or sometihng along those lines; there are off-the-shelf tunes available for light mods like your intake.

I do think the problem you're having with the engine shutting off is something more than just the different intake though, I think you caused another problem with something during the install.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Stock MAF sensor tuning isn't setup to deal with different flow velocity from an aftermarket intake, which is why tuning is needed. There is probably nothing wrong with the sensor, it's the stock ECU tuning.

Look into a Cobb Accessport or sometihng along those lines; there are off-the-shelf tunes available for light mods like your intake.

I do think the problem you're having with the engine shutting off is something more than just the different intake though, I think you caused another problem with something during the install.
thank you butt yeahh i think i did cause another problem.i think i burned the maf sensor. would removing my battery before installation have anything to do with it?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered Member

scooby2.0t has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sbdunkz757
thank you butt yeahh i think i did cause another problem.i think i burned the maf sensor. would removing my battery before installation have anything to do with it?
No usually that wont cause a problem. But you still could have screwed it up.
Are you sure you put it back on right and plugged it in?
Also what intake are you running?
Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by scooby2.0t
No usually that wont cause a problem. But you still could have screwed it up.
Are you sure you put it back on right and plugged it in?
Also what intake are you running?
im not sure ill ask my friend that i got it from all he said was that its a cold air intake. yeah i put it back on right it looks perfect. i might have the maf sensor on the wrong way ill double check. the bad part is that we had the car at my friends garage when we did this so its been sitting there ever since.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

scooby2.0t has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sbdunkz757
im not sure ill ask my friend that i got it from all he said was that its a cold air intake. yeah i put it back on right it looks perfect. i might have the maf sensor on the wrong way ill double check. the bad part is that we had the car at my friends garage when we did this so its been sitting there ever since.

If its some noname cold air intake its gonna make the car run like shit. But not that bad the car would do what you are decribing if the maf is unplugged or backwards. The plug side should be facing the front of the car.
Honestly your better off putting the stock airbox back on and buying a quality intake like a K&N or the SPT piece.

Quick Reply: WRX INTAKE HELP ME