Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Working with Carbon Fibre (Fabrik8?)

Old 05-18-2005, 02:31 PM
HHIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite
Default Working with Carbon Fibre (Fabrik8?)

My underhood temperatures are through the roof and all my vacuum lines are pretty much forced to sit right on top of the turbo. I want too cool it down under there. My thoughts for right now are to somehow attach a WRX hood scoop onto the hood of my car. I'd like to do it on a carbon fibre hood though. Any thoughts you have would be welcome. Basically I have to cut a hole in a brand new carbon hood and mount the scoop over it.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Working with Carbon Fibre (Fabrik8?)

Carbon Fiber cuts pretty well just make sure to try to cut it cleanly and not chip it all up. I'd look into something like this, an STi CF Reproduction (I prefer the lower WRX scoop, but this would keep the clean CF look, it'll look weird if the scoop isn't CF). Should be able to mount it like a stock WRX scoop mounts I'm thinking, with a few through bolts

Here's another source for a scoop I just found, I have no idea about quality I'm just randomly looking around for you.
-Andy

Last edited by mAydAy; 05-18-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:18 PM
HHIC

Originally Posted by mAydAy
Carbon Fiber cuts pretty well just make sure to try to cut it cleanly and not chip it all up. I'd look into something like this, an STi CF Reproduction (I prefer the lower WRX scoop, but this would keep the clean CF look, it'll look weird if the scoop isn't CF). Should be able to mount it like a stock WRX scoop mounts I'm thinking, with a few through bolts

Here's another source for a scoop I just found, I have no idea about quality I'm just randomly looking around for you.
-Andy
Yeah, I'd go with the STi carbon fibre reproduction part but I think it's a little overkill for what my intentions are. Plus, if the grain didn't match it would bug me.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

mAydAy is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you painting the hood? It's going to be...odd if the hood is unpainted and the scoop is painted some color. Just my $.02

I was trying to find a regular WRX CF scoop, I'd bet they are out there, but I couldn't find any.

-Andy
Old 05-18-2005, 05:37 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Use an airsaw with a metal cutting blade, or a jigsaw with a metal cutting or carbide abrasive blade. It also helps to lay down a layer of masking tape where you're going to cut, this will help make a cleaner cut and give you a convenient hig contrast surface to mark your hole on. I have a WRX and a shitload of WRX links, I'll hit the highlights and see if I can find a standard WRX scoop out of CF for you.. You could also try to find an (non-WRX) impreza scoop, it's the same hood with a sweet low profile scoop.. By the way, are you looking for an 04 scoop, or an 02-03 scoop?
Old 05-18-2005, 06:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Not a damn bit of luck.. Looks like Sti scoops rule the market..
Old 05-18-2005, 10:54 PM
HHIC

I don't need a carbon scoop...in fact I'd like a regular scoop. Maybe one off someone's WRX that they replaced with a carbon fibre or STi one. Like I said, if the grains from the hood to the scoop didn't match it would drive me nuts. I've got a red car so a carbon hood with a red scoop would look ok I think, especially if I have black rims. Anyway, if you know of anyone selling their stock WRX scoop I'll buy it.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:48 PM
HHIC

Anybody know exactly how the WRX hood scoops mount? I'd like to figure out how I'm going to mount it before I buy one. I believe the stock scooby hoods are flat where the scoop mounts. Is this correct?
Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Racetracks

I just emailed a few people, I think I may be able to find a stock one for you. You'll have to get it painted though..
Old 05-19-2005, 04:01 PM
HHIC

I plan on painting it. I don't know that Subaru ever even made a red WRX. If you can find one someone doesn't mind parting with definanlty let me know and I'll get it from them. It'd be nice to find one for next to nothing so I wouldn't really mind experimenting a little.

Quick Reply: Working with Carbon Fibre (Fabrik8?)