Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

wont start acura cl 2.2 vtec

Old 07-07-2008, 07:18 PM
tWiStEd wAgOn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98civicONair has a spectacular aura about98civicONair has a spectacular aura about98civicONair has a spectacular aura about
Default wont start acura cl 2.2 vtec

chico
hampton
1997acura cl 2.2
5 speed v tec.

i just got the car so i have no idea.i was driving car home from va beach.well the car had a bad radiator and the cooling fan didnt come on.so i replaced the rad. and hard wired the fan to the cooling fan fuse under the dash.started the car and it idled a lil high for 5 minutes then dropped real low.i stopped at the first stop sign it cut off.stopped at the second and it cut off.i drove it 20 minutes home.got off interstate and it died again and has not ran since.i checked #1 spark plug and its got fire.i pull line a loose into fuel pessure regulater and turned it over and have fuel.i ran check engine codes and reset them.it was misfire on #1,#2 and#3.insuficant flow to egr.catalyst low pressure? and coolant temp sensor.no water in the oil,oil is clean.no smoke.

i have no idea where to start.thanks guys for your time and advice.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Registered member

Axel kain has disabled reputation
Default Re: wont start acura cl 2.2 vtec

got enough coolant? who knows if previous owner destroyed this engine... start with temp sensor. sometimes they help control your ignition timing... im expecting you to be looking at a new engine, maybe some internal work. also do a cooling system pressure test, and compression test.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:44 AM
tWiStEd wAgOn

98civicONair has a spectacular aura about98civicONair has a spectacular aura about98civicONair has a spectacular aura about

blown headgasket?whats the easiest and the best way to check?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:37 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

got water in the oil...fill up the radiator with water and leave cap off...crank the engine...if water hits the hood then its got a blown head gasket....the backpressure will blow the water out...
Old 07-08-2008, 06:38 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Originally Posted by 98civicONair
chico
hampton
1997acura cl 2.2
5 speed v tec.

i have no idea where to start.thanks guys for your time and advice.
bring it to me and ill fix it...
Old 07-09-2008, 01:44 AM
tWiStEd wAgOn

Originally Posted by nftuatn
bring it to me and ill fix it...
naw imma send it to the crusher.lol
Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Registered member

Axel kain has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Axel kain
got enough coolant? who knows if previous owner destroyed this engine... start with temp sensor. sometimes they help control your ignition timing... im expecting you to be looking at a new engine, maybe some internal work. also do a cooling system pressure test, and compression test.
ahem.... bold are the tests to do to find an issue.

oh, and do the coolant pressure test with spark plugs out...its fun to watch the cylinders fill up with coolant!
Old 07-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

CHeck the coolant temp sensor, and look into how the fan gets turned on. I really don't know anything specific about your car, but generally there are two ways to turn a fan on when it reaches the correct temp. One is with a thermostat (which is very common) that is just a switch that opens or closes at a certain temp, enabling the fan relay. The other is to have the ECU or some other type of controller monitor the temp from the coolant temp sensor and turn the fan relay on.

It's possible that a bad temp sensor can do this, because the ECU changes parameters based on coolant temp and makes fuel (and cold/hot start) decisions. So if the coolant temp sensor is really messed up, the ECU could be getting fooled. This is really easy to check if you have a factory manual and can look up what the test readings should be to verify. The fact that you have some CELs is a good place to start though, its easier than just fishing in the dark. If you can find the test values, you can check the sensor with a multimeter and immediately rule it out, and then check the wiring if you still have a temp sensor CEL. Usually the ECU has failsafe parameters though, so if the ECU detects that the temp sensor is out of range it will default to some fixed value. The engine will still run though usually.

The misfires are odd, given that only 3 cylinders are showing up... Something weird is going on...

Last edited by Fabrik8; 07-10-2008 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 PM
tWiStEd wAgOn

thanks man.keep em coming guys
Old 07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
tWiStEd wAgOn

nftuatn came by and it is a headgasket.it now has water in the oil.the guy did an oil change and fresh spark plugs to sell the car.

Quick Reply: wont start acura cl 2.2 vtec