Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Wonder of German Engineering...

Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 AM
Standartenführer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus
Default Wonder of German Engineering...

Car: 94 BMW E36
Issue: Leaking freeze plug on the back of the oil filter housing

Having had to replace my useless plug o-rings on the back of the e36 oil filter housing 3 times now I am looking for a chemical gasket solution, Permatex #1 or #2 seem to fit the bill but I have not used either one before. I would love some advice on what you have used in the past in this type of a location to seal a massive leak. The oil is flowing past these holes with some pressure so the seal would need to account for that.

And yes I have tried every size of the o-ring I could fit in there, I think the plug/hole are worn out or warped as I managed to seal the top one on the first try without any issues.

Here is what I am dealing with:

Closeup:
Old 06-25-2013, 06:13 AM
ITR prick #1...

boostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these partsboostjunkie is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Wonder of German Engineering...

apparently from what i see on bmw's etk, they probably never intended for those to be taken out..

because they dont list a part number anywhere. ive also never had anyone ask for those that i can remember having sold parts for bmws for the past almost 14 years.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

Originally Posted by boostjunkie
apparently from what i see on bmw's etk, they probably never intended for those to be taken out..

because they dont list a part number anywhere. ive also never had anyone ask for those that i can remember having sold parts for bmws for the past almost 14 years.
Yup, but the bastards will inevitably leak and now I have to decide whether I unbolt it all again (shudder) and take it to machine shop have them tap those holes and make me screw-in plugs or get enthusiastic with a large splooge of some sealant that can hold up to hot pressurized oil or buy a whole new updated design housing.

Last edited by euthorus; 06-25-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Viton o-rings are the only known solution to the pervasive use of Buna-N seals in many popular BMW automobile engine variable timing units, known as VANOS. In the VANOS, the Buna-N o-ring deteriorate while the Viton fluorocarbon o-rings have similar functional characteristics to Buna-N, but with much higher temperature and chemical resistance characteristics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viton
Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 AM
Standartenführer

I am using the Viton rings @ 75 Durometer, and the tighter once simple tear when compressed into the lower hole. Anyone know of a way to seal this externally ?
Old 06-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Unless you see signs of wear, I would imagine that the O-ring has worn out or deteriorated, and you probably aren't getting an O-ring with the proper diameter or cross section as a replacement. There should be no reason that parts in good condition with no mechanical wear should fail to seat after a proper O-ring replacement.

It wouldn't hurt to get tapped for a proper port plug though, like the aluminum ones for racing. I don't know if the sizes will match what you need though.