Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Wiring questions for an ef civic.

Old 06-15-2016, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel
Default Wiring questions for an ef civic.

So I have a dual point ef it has a b18b in it. Po swapped and hacked the harness to leave it obd0 it was ugly. He told he was all about labeling everything. The thing is he labeled wrong it. It was hideous. I have a rywire for it from an old project.The problem is the car is dual point and the chassis adapter I have for the rywire is for an eg. Now what I would to do is convert the driver shock tower plug to something that can mate to the rywire. I am wondering what I would need to change on my car to make that happen. Do i need to change the fuse box. It is a cable car. I got an obd 2 d series vss to convert the car over to an electronic speedometer can I just change the speedo or do I need a new cluster also do I have to add wiring as well. What's up can anyone help yo?

Last edited by Windesiel; 06-20-2016 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2016, 11:41 AM
Too Old To Care

smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave
Default Re: Wiring questions for an ef civic.

There is way more work to what you are trying to do. Why not get a good harness from a donor and start from scratch rather than beat your head on the floor trying to cobble something together that will fail at an inopportune time and leave you stranded. In other words, keep it simple and minimize future issues. Oh and don't end a post with yo, this automatically will set you for long term abuse, not to mention it makes you look ignorant not kewl.
Regards
Dave

Last edited by smilin dave; 06-17-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel Windesiel

I mean I'm kinda ignorant for buying this car if you ask me.I have an uncut rywire for it. I talked to them they said they make a chassis adapter for it. I have to figure out how to wire in the speedo electronic so it will read the vss from an obd2 d series that I have. Which is what my research has lead me to believe that I need on the transmission side. The reason for doing this is so I don't want to cut my fancy harness. As far as starting from scratch with a new harness or good donor is that I still would have to deal with the fact that is there is two different shock tower plugs. Depending on whether the car is dual point or multipoint. My car which is dualpoint will not match a multipoint. The car was an automatic and the previous owner cut the plug for the transmission. I will need to sort out what was cut and what I need to rewire. I am pretty sure using a rywire is the least invasive way to go. The problem I see with a donor harness is that matches the car won't have all the wiring I need to run the motor. If I could find a multi point harness from that Era that is viable the plugs won't match with my car. I would have to build a jumper harness either way if I used any kind of stock wiring harness. It would only be an question where jumper is placed. The rywire has a plug for vss and not mechanical so I have to figure it out. I was thinking about using the eg adapter because I couldn't find an off the shelf solution on their website but have since emailed them and found out they make one that will work for my application.

Last edited by Windesiel; 06-20-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

What up fabrik8 I heard you stuff about things
Old 06-20-2016, 02:46 PM
Too Old To Care

smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave smilin dave

You can pull the speed sensing signal directly from the speedometer, you WILL have to do this research as I cannot remember which wire(s) you need. The obd0 ecu derives its signal from the speedometer. You need a helms to find all of this wiring info, there is no substitute.
Regards
Dave

Last edited by smilin dave; 06-20-2016 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by smilin dave
You can pull the speed sensing signal directly from the speedometer, you WILL have to do this research as I cannot remember which wire(s) you need. The obd0 ecu derives its signal from the speedometer. You need a helms to find all of this wiring info, there is no substitute.
Regards
Dave
It has a sending wire from speedometer to ecu i'm wondering that reverse of that will true if I have an electronic vss. A helms you say. That should have all the wiring diagrams?
Old 06-20-2016, 03:54 PM
Too Old To Care

Yes, I am an old asshole, I do not apologize for this. If you use the wires from the ef speedometer, you will not have to use the electronic vss and change the speedometer, unless you are just compelled to do so. Yes the helms is the bible for old hondas, it will save you a lot of time. Where are you, by the way? Just curious, I have seen few ef's in tidewater and few in Richmond where I live. Good luck, and remember to have patience with those who are really trying to help you. You will receive more help if you act smart, and don't get all upset when messed with. In other words, don't be thin skinned. Realize when people are screwing with you, it is merely for my amusement to get a reaction.
Regards
Dave
Old 06-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Mine is in williamsburg but it's not on the street yet trying to make it right before I drive it. I trashed a few cars by slapping them together runnig and not finishing them. Just getting into hondas. I tried to source a new harness. Rywire was my best option. Ef harnesses aren't avaible. I have a dual point car. It has different shock tower plugs are different than a multi point . The car doesn't have crank sensor wiring or four power leads for fuel injectors. Rywire has a vss plug for electronic speedo and I don't want cut it, because like you said bad wiring will leave you stranded. Prob gonna swap in gsr once I get the chassis right. Rywire harness runs from motor to ecu and has an adapter that mates it to chassis from the shock tower. What is on the shock tower is just wiring for fuel injectors and some other odds and ends that I forgot right now. The rywire harness is not for any specific car, it's for b series honda motor. I am sorting out previous owner's hack job. Usually my cars goes to yard after being stripped so I'm not really worried about the next owner.

Last edited by Windesiel; 06-20-2016 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Too Old To Care

You should have the diagram from rywire, helms is still in print, get one. Make yourself an interconnect from the chassis to the rywire harness, keep good notes so you will have a means to troubleshoot. I use a spiral notebook for unusual stuff, then this goes with the car when sold. I would like to see the final product in pictures as you go, this will also help you by having a diary of sorts in pictures. In other words make them good and clear.
Regards
Dave
Old 06-20-2016, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

They give me a Web link not a hardcopy. I am proof reading and editing my previous posts to make them clearer. I have note book with what I have done so far. I am going to look for a helms now that I know it is what I need. The chassis adapter only needs to have four wires tapped on car side. The rest is plug and play

Last edited by Windesiel; 06-20-2016 at 07:00 PM.