Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

whole bunch of turbo ?'s

Old 08-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Colonel Sanders

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usmcbugle85 has disabled reputation
Default whole bunch of turbo ?'s

I have a JDM b16 swap into my 2000 Si with a turbonetics t3 kit. Right now Im at 223/157 on 9 psi. I have completely stock internals and I drive this car so I dont have some outrageous hp goal. Im looking at 260-275 as a final number. I know the different ways to get there I just want to see if you guys know the best ways to do it.
1. Im running 9psi. The highest I want to go is 12. How much is that gonna give me?

2. Im going to be pulling off the head and getting a P&P with the works inside. I dont want to run too aggressive of a cam. Should I go with a Skunk2 stage2 or how will a CTR or ITR cam help with the turbo set up?

3. What is the best way to decrease turbo lag? I know its inevitable but I just want to see if I can get that thing to spool up quicker.

Id appreciate any help ya'll could give me.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo
Default Re: whole bunch of turbo ?'s

Who did your tuning? The numbers you've posted look a little low to me. An LS turbo with that kind of boost will do the same numbers or maybe better depending on tuning.

I would likely stick with a GSR or ITR cam setup. Both work really well. If your looking to stay in the lower HP I'd likely prefer the GSR cams.

When tuning the car lean spool will really help out with getting the turbo to spin up...
Old 08-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Colonel Sanders

Inline Performance did the tuning. They put in a thicker head gasket to lower the compression so that might be why the numbers arent that high.

I dont want to run high hp but I want a moderate hp increase. Are the ITR or GSR cams gonna do that for me? Also, how much is that gonna affect my bottom end power and torque?

What do you mean by lean spool?
Old 08-07-2006, 02:58 PM
Yup, jolly poopbuggy

Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey Corey

Originally Posted by usmcbugle85
Inline Performance did the tuning. They put in a thicker head gasket to lower the compression so that might be why the numbers arent that high.
...and why the turbo spools slowly. Static compression is spools best friend.

JDavis has a b16 (completely stock) and made over 260whp, IIRC. I'm not sure how much boost he was running.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:16 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

what intake manifold are you running ?, how big is your downpipe, were you running open exhaust or no ? what injectors and engine management are you using ? b16 cams are lower on the food chain than anything else. so an upgrade would definitely help. you want less lag, take off that thick ass headgasket that prolly dropped your compression to something like 8:1. but then you wont be able to run the boost your wanting to without taking some higher risk.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

what are the specs on the turbo your running and what size exhaust, type of manifold, etc.? If you can pick up some gsr, itr, or ctr cams because they will help out a lot. Personally i dont see the need to run those thick ass inlinepro headgaskets for lower power on stock motors. If you want big power on the stock motor then they wont be bad for keeping the power high on pump gas, but for your setup i think it isn't needed.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:08 AM
Colonel Sanders

the reason I went with the thicker headgasket was because I wanted to ensure that my engine would be safe. I mean i know there are people out there who run crazy amounts of boost and hp on a stock engine but ya'll just understand my history of luck with cars. if its gonna break it will so i just wanted to play it safe. Ill make up the hp in other ways.

so which cams? ctr, gsr, or itr? somebody said something about a combo of 2 of the 3.