Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

whining noise when clutch is pushed in

Old 10-03-2007, 05:24 PM
yeah...its me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lurkin' eg has disabled reputation
Default whining noise when clutch is pushed in

okay im trying to figure something out. ight when i push in the clutch pedel i get this whining sound. and when i release the pedel the noise goes away. ive been told that it could be my throw out bearing or my input shaft bearing. plus when im driven and shifting into gear, when i push in the clutch the whining noise is real loud. so which is it the input shaft or throw out bearing?
Old 10-03-2007, 05:32 PM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation
Default Re: whining noise when clutch is pushed in

throw out bearing
Old 10-03-2007, 05:51 PM
yeah...its me

not to second guess but most people ive talked to said it was the input shaft. they said that its only the throw out bearing when the clutch pedel is not pushed in. so they say its the tob when im in neutral. what do you think or can you help me understand a little better.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
RagPhoto.net

99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough99CIVICFTW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lurkin' eg
not to second guess but most people ive talked to said it was the input shaft. they said that its only the throw out bearing when the clutch pedel is not pushed in. so they say its the tob when im in neutral. what do you think or can you help me understand a little better.
+1
Old 10-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

Dillon has disabled reputation

TOB makes noise when you put the clutch in. Could be both though.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:12 PM
yeah...its me

thats what im thinking. cause when the clutch is in (pedel not pushed down) it does not make noise so it cant be the TOB. but you might be right, it could be both.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Registered Member

Dillon has disabled reputation

I always thought that the throwout bearing makes noise when you push the clutch in, not when it's out. Hence the name "throwout" bearing...since it's disconnecting the engine from the drivetrain when you push the clutch in. Whatever, either way, that noise is a sign that you're going to need a clutch job soon. Whatever tranny shop you take it to will tell you exactly what was wrong.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 AM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Originally Posted by Dillon
I always thought that the throwout bearing makes noise when you push the clutch in, not when it's out. Hence the name "throwout" bearing...since it's disconnecting the engine from the drivetrain when you push the clutch in.
I'll second that. I have always known that stepping on the clutch is bad throw out bearing. If you hear the noise when the clutch is released, it's bad input shaft. If both parts are cheap for you, might as well replace them both.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:27 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

as part of a routine clutch replacement...you should ALWAYS replace both. i can almost guarantee that your problem is with the throw out bearing, though. if the clutch has a lot of miles on it, you might as well just throw in a new clutch with new bearings and get the flywheel resurfaced just to stay on top of maintaining the vehicle. if the clutch is relatively new, i'd just go ahead and replace both bearings for peace of mind. it's only like a 2 hour job with hand tools anyways.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
yeah...its me

yeah thats what i plan on doin...soon i guess. but the clutch is stage 3 act. but i thought that when you have to replace the input shaft bearing you have to open up the tranny which is alot of work more than 2 hours right. well i also forgot to mention that when i take off in first, sometimes there is a loud squeal. this is a seperate noise from when i push in the clutch. so what might that be?

Quick Reply: whining noise when clutch is pushed in