Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What's your opinion on boost a h22?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:24 AM
supermoto or bust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones Jones
Default What's your opinion on boost a h22?

ok guys, i just got a h22a4 and want to boost it, what should be done to make it a reliable/strong motor? how much boost could i do on the stock bottom end? dont really know about the h series but couldnt pass up this deal. but i do know you can build them nastily, i just need to know what to do, hah.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:04 AM
for alarms/rmt-strts

EH3_SOHC has disabled reputation
Default Re: What's your opinion on boost a h22?

i think like 5-7lbs safely. im pretty sure the h22's have very weak ringlands.....google is your friend
Old 12-27-2008, 09:05 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by juuuuicy
ok guys, i just got a h22a4 and want to boost it, what should be done to make it a reliable/strong motor? how much boost could i do on the stock bottom end? dont really know about the h series but couldnt pass up this deal. but i do know you can build them nastily, i just need to know what to do, hah.
May I suggest reading and doing much of it. Asking how much boost you can go on a stock block for instance is backwards. Start with a hp/tq and torque curve in mind, then go from there. Consider in your budget as well for such a project. Are you able to "suffer" from downtime of not having a running engine in this Lude? Etc, etc. Read up on the threads here or elsewhere. A knowledgeable boost Honda owner is a good thing (so long as that owner absorbs accurate knowledge -- there is a plethora of crap replies/posts out there regarding engine building, boosting, engine management/tuning, etc.).
Old 12-28-2008, 06:48 PM
supermoto or bust

thanks im looking into it all over but everyone says different things. i guess the only way to find out is to try it, right? but sleeving and lower comp pistons seem like a must.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

klownh8er is on a distinguished road

all i remember on h22's is that the dizzys get burned up quick :P correct me if i'm wrong lol
Old 12-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

KYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud of

I have had a stock H22 make 345whp on stock internals for over a year before we tore it down to make more power. I have seen a few make more power then that without breaking the motor apart. If you are looking for around 300whp then stock internals will make that with a good tune.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 PM
supermoto or bust

any more from anyone?
Old 12-30-2008, 10:25 PM
f'n bat country son!

DaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the roughDaLuded is a jewel in the rough

it is all in the tune to be honest...

also the h22a4 is an open deck block as compared to a jdm h22a which is closed deck and better for boost. i ran a boosted h22a4 for a couple months and it came apart at the worst possible time. i had 550cc injectors and i was tuned on hondata @ 7 lbs with a "reliable" tune. while the car was up and running it rolled the fuck out, but if i had to do it again i would build the block first to save yourself the trouble. if you don't have a daily i'd buy one 1st before undergoing such a project as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:30 AM

4door_GSR has disabled reputation

the problem with the h22 is the weak cyl walls and the coatings that are on them. the stock sleves in them have higher expansion rates than other honda motors . thats where the down fall will be . but like he said above , i also have seen nive power out of a stock boosted h22 just dont get crazy with it ( detination is not your friend ) . if you want it reliable with the ability to go more boost in the long run ........ then do it rite the first time . you could spend alot of money on a good turbo set up but if you motor comes apart it will destroy every thing and ull have to start fresh..... so if it was me i would deff. do sleves, pistons, rods, ( i also pefer to do head studs and main studs, rod bolts , while you replace the berrings too ) then all that is left is the head witch can be done to wut ever prefrance is .
Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

954rr has disabled reputation

EH3 is right about the ringlands. I've personally never heard the cylinder walls were an issue. People have been getting good results with the Mahle Gold series pistons.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on boost a h22?