Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What Size Exhaust?

Old 12-30-2006, 02:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gompers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What Size Exhaust?

Ok ok, I been through some sites and explanations about this, but they all sucked and I didn't like them (not a good reader)

So, basic question (?)

I will be tossing a t3 turbo on My accord (1995 EX), stock exhaust is 2'' (really un-necessary info here) and I want to know of the exhaust size which would be best.

I will be running only EIGHT POUNDS (that = 8psi!!!)

but my HP goals are between 200hp - 250hp (slow, but its a friggin accord)

What I have looked at has told me that 2.5'' will do me Just fine. But everyone likes to jump in and say 3'' is best hardy har har.

I'm looking at a tsudo (im cheap) 2.5'' cat-back for now. But they dont offer a 3'' or a 2.75'', and looking around I cant find a 2.75'' or 3'' for under $210

I will be boosting in like 2 months, so I figure if I need a 3'' Ill get it when I boost, but if 2.5'' is good enough, I'll take that now and enjoy like 6hp while I wait.

Please keep in mind I dont want to spend over 300 bux (but if i HAVE to...)
And if you can find a nice cheap 2.75 or 3 inch catback, throw it at me!
And again, I have no intention of boosting 9+ psi, and doing over 250hp ((for at least a year or 2))

(heres for hoping 2.5'' is good enough for 8psi//~220hp)
Old 12-30-2006, 03:37 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia
Default Re: What Size Exhaust?

3 inch all the way.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

really? for so little boost/power? ;p

Damn, wanted to install the exhaust soon.

But would I see much power loss with a 3'' catback if I installed it Right Now?
That is still with the stock downpipe, N/A atm

Or another option I wanna run by ya.

Would a 2.5'' catback and a 3'' downpipe work with the turbo? (trying to push the cheap catback here lol)

Again, I'm only looking to do about ~230 hp
Old 12-30-2006, 04:17 PM
AAs for quitters

92typerhatch has disabled reputation

3" all the way from the down pipe back
Old 12-30-2006, 04:18 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Well, from what I remember when I had an accord and looked at turboing, 3" cat back helps a lot, but really wont be quite as noticable with a stock DP and such. I'd reccomend getting 3" down pipe ect. and a 2.5 inch cat back over JUST a 3" cat back. On my 240 I have a 2.5 inch down pipe and 3" exhaust and I should see something like 10whp gain with a 3" dp. Not really sure how much it would matter on an accord or not I am sure the bigger you can make everything the better - up to 3" that is haha.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

the stock DP would stay there till I boost.

Just tryin to pick up exhaust now ;p
So I'm gonna guess 3'' catback connected to a 2'' downpipe (FOR NOW) wont hurt n'a performance yet? (maybe boost it?)
Old 12-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You'll lose a little bit of power short term while you're still N/A, but not enough to worry about. Just look forward to the turbo.
2.5" is fine for the amount of power you'll be running, although 3" will give you upgrade potential later if you so desire. The amount of backpressure difference between 2.5 and 3" for 200-250 HP is really not enough to worry about. You're better off making sure that you have a good downpipe and manifold, and have flat gaskets instead of donut gaskets for everything, as well as a muffler that flows enough. Don't forget your intercooler setup also, and that you aren't throwing a 28" long by 6" tall intercooler that's going to have shit efficiency.
There are a lot more important things to optimize at that power level than just throwing a big exhaust on it and calling it done.
Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You'll lose a little bit of power short term while you're still N/A, but not enough to worry about. Just look forward to the turbo.
2.5" is fine for the amount of power you'll be running, although 3" will give you upgrade potential later if you so desire. The amount of backpressure difference between 2.5 and 3" for 200-250 HP is really not enough to worry about. You're better off making sure that you have a good downpipe and manifold, and have flat gaskets instead of donut gaskets for everything, as well as a muffler that flows enough. Don't forget your intercooler setup also, and that you aren't throwing a 28" long by 6" tall intercooler that's going to have shit efficiency.
There are a lot more important things to optimize at that power level than just throwing a big exhaust on it and calling it done.
Thanks
And yeah, I'm i nno way gonna call it done, I'm just trying to piece my turbo together, and if possible have my current n/a setup boost a bit.
But bleh, I think I can wait I guess