Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

what should i do with b16?

Old 06-06-2011, 06:37 PM
AaronDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis
Default what should i do with b16?

hey yall,
I've been looking and reading on lots of different websites and talking to lots of different people and id like to get a few more inputs.

I have a b16a2 complete engine/tranny/ecu/harness/etc. Ive also got a gsr head, a set of gsr cams, intake/tb and sensors.

I was wondering what the best setup would be? My main question is what head and cams should i use for the quickest setup on my b16?

oh yeah, and the only ecu i have is the one for the b16... its from a 97 del sol... so im told.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703 team703
Default Re: what should i do with b16?

B16 bottomend with a gsr head IMO is worthless, don't do it... To be honest the best thing you can do with a B16 is either scrap it or use the block for a seat to sit on in your garage... Trade the b16 motor to someone for a B18b1 and some cash and just do LS/Vtec,
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n

What chassis is the swap going in? An what do you plan on doin with the car? Like drag race, auto x, just a daily??
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

^x2
But really do whatever you want to do man, its your car. Keep the b16(if you keep stock cams they really doesn't come alive untill it crosses but they run pretty good) and rock it for a while find something better or upgrade it and do like I did spend alot of money on it(I have a 87 crx w/b16 I loved it dude but it doesn't weigh anything). Point is you have 2 people deciding on something and you are most likely to get 2 different answers.

But stock info on them the gsr head has a smaller combustion chamber so compression would go up if you put it on but (someone correct me if im wrong) I think the b16 head flows more. B16 stock compression is around 10.2-4:1(depending on what piston is in it stock, but i think a2's are 10.2:1). GSR cams are the largest besides type r's.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

M▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these partsM▲dh▲tter is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by team703
B16 bottomend with a gsr head IMO is worthless, don't do it... To be honest the best thing you can do with a B16 is either scrap it or use the block for a seat to sit on in your garage... Trade the b16 motor to someone for a B18b1 and some cash and just do LS/Vtec,
my first thought was boat anchor.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

Really, you need to decide what you want out of the motor before anyone can come plose to answer your question, but I have a LS block if you need one... just pm me.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered member

dcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these parts

I'll take the vtec head if you want
Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

its coming out of a 97 4 door and going into a 99 hatch after its rebuilt. it will be a daily driver so i am not going to do anything extreme. i'm basically turning a swapped b16 4 door into a stock 4 door for my sister to drive and im swapping it into my hatch to make it a little quicker. thanks for all the input also. but based on what yall have said, i am leaning towards b16 bottom and head and gsr cams... sound good??

oh and btw, i'd have to leave some skiis out to fit it in my boat, so thats out of the question
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Weldmandingo has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by team703
agreed, you will gain nothing by putting that head on the b16 bottom end the heads have pretty much flow the same, only thing you will gain will be about .2 compression at best... so your really not gaining anything by doing this.. now if you had a gsr block with a b16 head and used type r internals ( rods, pistons, cams, valvetrain, etc ) then you would have something, a poor mans type r lol, but you do not have that so i would go with what TEAM703 suggested and go LS/VTEC.. its cheaper and will make about roughly the same horsepower as the poor man's

Go with ls/vtec
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Weldmandingo has disabled reputation

also if you do decide to go with the ls/vtec swap and want to do it correctly do its reliable heres a link to instructions on building one... good luck bro

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1676914

Quick Reply: what should i do with b16?