Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What the heck are LSD Trannys?

Old 03-06-2003, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B18A1Integra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What the heck are LSD Trannys?

Hey guys i have been looking on some web sites for a new motor for my Integra 1991. I know u guys might think i am stupid for asking a guestion about what lsd trannys are? Please Help!
Old 03-07-2003, 05:50 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

I think they meant it comes with an LSD, which is a Limited Slip Differential.
Old 03-07-2003, 05:53 AM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Here's an excerpt from a write-up by Aikmeng Kuah, my japanese parts supplier:

What is the purpose of a differential? As the name implies, it allows a difference to exist between the speed of the wheels. The purpose of this is to allow a car to turn... when the car is turning, the wheel on the inside of the turn would need to turn at a lower speed than the wheel on the outside, since the outside wheel has to travel a larger distance through the turn.

So how would a differential work? What it does it to allow the two wheels to have different drive ratios, the wheel on the outside has a larger drive ratio which allows it to rotate faster. It also means that the effectively it is applying more power to the outside wheel than the inside wheel. Think of it this way, the outside wheel must turn at a higher speed and travel a longer distance through a curve, therefore it consumes more power.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:05 AM
I'm not into cars

reXer has disabled reputation

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

That site owns you. But good short Eric.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

for a a1 motor , you would use a YS1 tranny .... they come with stock lsd ( 92-93 gsr only,not ls )
Old 03-07-2003, 09:53 AM
SSSSSVT

91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch 91 Hatch

ys1 trannies are lsd?
Old 03-07-2003, 10:27 AM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

Originally posted by PoS hYbRiD
( 92-93 gsr only,not ls )
LS ys1 are non lsd .... ys1 from the 92-93 gsr come with stock lsd.
Old 03-08-2003, 04:30 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Now of course we are talking about the JDM trannies, because there were no optional LSD's on any of the USDM trannies until the 00+ ITRs came out.
And of the JDM cable trannies, only the Y1 or YS1 trannies came with optional LSD. "the key word was OPTIONAL"
Good luck in finding on. A rare thing these days.