Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What gauge is battery cable?

Old 03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy
Default What gauge is battery cable?

I plan to relocat my battery to my trunk and I dont know what gauge wire I should buy to do this.

And if I went to a lowers and got some single wire (Only 1 wire type in it, not like house wire with hot/cold/ground in it) multi strand (twisted) 2/0 wire would this work the same as a smaller strand wire or the same or worse?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What gauge is battery cable?

I think 8 or 6 would be good
Old 03-12-2006, 02:32 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

1/0 would be better
Old 03-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

You can never have a big enough battery and ground cable! I always use 0 guage when I relocate a battery.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:33 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

bigger is better, it can withstand the higher current flow needed for your starting system. if you can find some really big power cable for like an amp or something that will work as well.
Old 03-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If it's a 4 cyl, you don't need anything bigger than 4 gauge, but 2 would be preferred. That is plenty overkill for a trunk mount battery. There is no "withstanding the higher current flow", you need large wire so the resistance will be low over the distance that you'll be running the wire. Resistance versus current equals voltage drop, which is the enemy. And don't go for the "bigger is better" mentality, you're just wasting money if you use wire that's larger than you need. Put a fuse or breaker at the battery end of the cable for safety, if you get in a wreck or the cable gets cut, etc., the fuse will keep your car from burning to the ground. Car audio cable works fine but the insulation is usually junk, battery cable or welding cable is usually cheaper and has higher quality (higher temp, better abrasion and solvent resistance) insulation. It may not be as pretty, but who cares.

Do not use solid conductor house wire, it will fatigue.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 03-12-2006 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:29 PM
holla

j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3 j4k3

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If it's a 4 cyl, you don't need anything bigger than 4 gauge, but 2 would be preferred. That is plenty overkill for a trunk mount battery. There is no "withstanding the higher current flow", you need large wire so the resistance will be low over the distance that you'll be running the wire. Resistance versus current equals voltage drop, which is the enemy. And don't go for the "bigger is better" mentality, you're just wasting money if you use wire that's larger than you need. Put a fuse or breaker at the battery end of the cable for safety, if you get in a wreck or the cable gets cut, etc., the fuse will keep your car from burning to the ground. Car audio cable works fine but the insulation is usually junk, battery cable or welding cable is usually cheaper and has higher quality (higher temp, better abrasion and solvent resistance) insulation. It may not be as pretty, but who cares.

Do not use solid conductor house wire, it will fatigue.

i stand corrected, i was typing without thinking at the time. the thicker gauge wire means less resistance, hes right.....again
Old 03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy

Aight, imma go out and buy some 2 AWG boat / battery cable for $1.07$ a foot instead of going to get some 2 gauge amp wire at a local car audio place for 6$ a foot.

Thx ppl
Old 03-13-2006, 06:05 PM
Registered member

GaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud ofGaRn has much to be proud of

bigger = better in this case, less voltage drop over the distance, and since it is mounted in the trunk, go for a bigger gauge than normal imo.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Good paraphrase.

Quick Reply: What gauge is battery cable?