Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

What to do with my O2 sensor?

Old 11-16-2004, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1sikcvc has disabled reputation
Default What to do with my O2 sensor?

I have a 99 civic hx engine inside a 90 civic hatch and i noticed the o2 sensor on the back of the engine just hanging. now i know this is supposed to go into the cat correct? well the o2 sensor can't even reach the cat. muchless plug into it. I also have a high flow cat that i'm thinking of putting on soon so what do i do with this o2 sensor? I'm pretty sure it's throwin the check engine light so.... Plus it's makin my car stutter in the low rpm's sometimes. What do I do with the o2 sensor?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Guy

TheAntiCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: What to do with my O2 sensor?

I don't know much about hondas but one sensor should be infront of the cat and one should be after the car (if it has a second one). You need to have the o2 sensor in because it tells the computer whether it's getting a good air/fuel mixture or not. The computer doesn't know whats goin on, thats why you sputter and all.

If it's the first plug then it usually pugs into the collector of the header or some other place before the cat, if it's the second one it plugs into a place somewhere close after the cat.

Either way you need to get it hooked back in. They sell o2 sensor bungs that weld onto the pipes.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:31 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

take it to somebody to weld it in thats what i had to do with my apexi exhaust. the guy i bought it from somehow had it closed up for some reason i did mine at meineke for like 20 bucks
Old 11-17-2004, 07:05 AM
Everyday

BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ

Originally Posted by 1sikcvc
I have a 99 civic hx engine inside a 90 civic hatch and i noticed the o2 sensor on the back of the engine just hanging. now i know this is supposed to go into the cat correct? well the o2 sensor can't even reach the cat. muchless plug into it. I also have a high flow cat that i'm thinking of putting on soon so what do i do with this o2 sensor? I'm pretty sure it's throwin the check engine light so.... Plus it's makin my car stutter in the low rpm's sometimes. What do I do with the o2 sensor?
Ok first of what ECU are you running? and second If you got the O2 sensor hanging down but can reach it's location on the cat what you can do is cut the original wires and make some extension with similar gauge wire, make sure when you make the extension you use a soldering gun, well just it'll be more safe. Make the extension enough to rach the cat you do not want any overhang. oh and about the new high flow cat it should have the 02 sensor bung in it. Pm me if you need more help.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:50 AM

sassigrits is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're using a 99 motor, it's likely you're using a 99 ECU, which requres an OBD II emissions setup. A downstream o2 sensor will be required. I agree that you should use a good gauge shielded wire and solder in some extensions.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:10 PM
Everyday

BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ BlackEJ

The reason why I asked is because most or a lot of honda users when they do a swap that is one of the things they get, they change ecu. Just like "sassigrits" mentions if you have a obd2 you are going to need both of you 02 sensors.
Good observation "sassigrits"
Old 11-17-2004, 01:48 PM

mbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to beholdmbui00 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sebassttiann
take it to somebody to weld it in thats what i had to do with my apexi exhaust. the guy i bought it from somehow had it closed up for some reason i did mine at meineke for like 20 bucks
oops, my bad. I guess there was a difference between early year and later year 95-99 eclipses.

How's that exhaust working out for you btw?

(sorry to go off topic)

Last edited by mbui00; 11-17-2004 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:59 AM
visuallyinklined.com

sebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the roughsebassttiann is a jewel in the rough

its all good but did make me scratch my head in confusion for a minute when i installed it. but its awesome like it. a bit loud but i knew that when i bought it. thanks for the awesome deal hard to find them for our cars.