Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

vtec swap question

Old 06-29-2009, 02:06 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1
Default vtec swap question

i have a 93 del sol si, d16z6
im thinking of swapping a b16a from hmotorsonline...
http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000...age&item=30005 <------

would i have to have my car rewired for vtec?
Old 06-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: vtec swap question

You won't have to rewire anything, no. As long as everything reaches where you want to route it, no problems. You'll have to run a shielded cable for the knock sensor though if you're going to use the stock P30 that the swap will come with.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered member

emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1 emgjsdk1

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
You won't have to rewire anything, no. As long as everything reaches where you want to route it, no problems. You'll have to run a shielded cable for the knock sensor though if you're going to use the stock P30 that the swap will come with.
so what would be a good ecu to run with that setup?
or could i just use that ecu and take it to get it chipped or something?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM
Registered member

ok so one more question while i have a thread made
say if i went with a b20b swap that hmotors would put piece togethe for me.
i wouldn't need to wire anything at all for that would i ?
Old 06-30-2009, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark guiltyxxspark

Go to Honda-tech and search. There's literally hundreds of writes up on how to do each engine.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by guiltyxxspark
Go to Honda-tech and search. There's literally hundreds of writes up on how to do each engine.
good idea
thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered member

well since i bought the b16 already
can i get the ecu chipped or reflashed to eliminate the knock sensor?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you have the P30 that the swap came with? If you have the ECU, and you have the engine with the knock sensor, just run the wires for the knock sensor. If you don't want the knock sensor, you could either get the P30 chipped with a disabled knock sensor program, or get your stock P28 chipped with a disabled knock sensor P30 program. The P28 and P30 are the exact same ECU but the P28 lacks the knock sensor daughterboard inside. The only other difference is what they are programmed for from the factory. That's why you could use either ECU with the same program if you don't want to use the knock sensor.
Given the choice of which ECU to use if you're not going to use the knock sensor, I'd chip the P28 and sell the P30. The P30 is worth more because of the knock sensor board.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Registered member

So you have the P30 that the swap came with? If you have the ECU, and you have the engine with the knock sensor, just run the wires for the knock sensor. If you don't want the knock sensor, you could either get the P30 chipped with a disabled knock sensor program, or get your stock P28 chipped with a disabled knock sensor P30 program. The P28 and P30 are the exact same ECU but the P28 lacks the knock sensor daughterboard inside. The only other difference is what they are programmed for from the factory. That's why you could use either ECU with the same program if you don't want to use the knock sensor.
Given the choice of which ECU to use if you're not going to use the knock sensor, I'd chip the P28 and sell the P30. The P30 is worth more because of the knock sensor board.
ok i see
but the problem is i dont know what ecu im running with the z6 right now, when i bought it i was told the ecu is for a b16. idk for sure or if the dude didnt know what he was talking about.
but how hard is it to run the knock sensor wire?
is it more than 1 wire?
i tried googling it but i couldnt really find a specific answer..
Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 AM
Fidel runs VBPD

The_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud ofThe_rabbit1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by guiltyxxspark
. that is all

Quick Reply: vtec swap question