Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Vtec pinout questions

Old 03-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Boost is Better

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx
Default Vtec pinout questions

vtec does not engage on my LS vtec setup. i finally figured out that it is not engaging. I need a pinout for the vtec pressure switch. I was told that the aem ems did not need that but i assume it does seeing as how it is not working.

any help would be great.

oh ya its an obd1 ecu setup in a 94 del sol S
Old 03-31-2006, 02:42 PM
Got a new name.

GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel GreySquirrel
Default Re: Vtec pinout questions

Did you add a knock sensor to your LS block? Or does your AEM EMS bypass the need for that?

The LS block didn't come with a knock sensor in it, and the OEM ECU looks for a signal from that before it allows the VTEC to engage.

If the EMS overrides the need for a knock sensor, like the Apexi VAFC does, then is should just be a matter of hooking up the VTEC control wire to the Green/Yellow wire coming from the VTEC Solenoid.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Boost is Better

well i figured out that its not an electrical problem of why my vtec does not engage.

AEM doesnt need the knock sensor though

even if i jump the vtec solenoid to 12v you can hear it click but vtec still wont engage.

a guy told me 100 bucks and he would make it work so i think i will just pay him.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Bearded.

DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO DORKO

do you have enought oil? pressure? is your car warmed up? are you throwing a VSS code?
Old 04-02-2006, 08:54 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

pinout for vtec? uhh.. a4 i think. cant really remember. but yeah, did you run an oil line from the oil pressure sender to the vtec head? did you plug the hole in the bottomof the head with an 1/8th npt plug? if you dont have around 60 pounds of oil pressure or so, you can click the solenoid all you want and vtec wont do shit.

here are the pinouts. i dont think aem gives a shit about the vtec oil pressure switch, thats just a safety the oem ecu uses to prevent stupidity.

crude test.. run a wire from the batt + inside the car, run a wire from the vtec solenoid inside teh car, put the wires on a switch. run the car down the street in lets say 2nd or 3rd gear, once you pass about 4500 rpm flip the switch to on. if vtec engages its teh wiring, or you have vtec output turned off in the ems software. if it doesnt engage you have an oiling problem in the vtec plumbing itself.

OBD-I ECU
VTEC Pressure Switch pin D6
VEC Solenoid pin A4
Knock Sensor pin D3
Intake Air Bypass Valve (GS-R only) pin A17
Evaporative Purge Solenoid Valve pin A20
Old 04-07-2006, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

hondadriver285 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1171263
this should take care of all your wire pinouts
Old 04-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Boost is Better

ok well i stopped looking at this thread a while ago because i thought i knew the problem but i didnt.

It is no longer a wiring problem.

what hole is supposed to be plugged. I didnt do the vtec conversion so im not sure if it is plugged but yes the oil feed from the sending unit is plugged to the head.

i took the solenoid a put it to 12v and it does click but nothing happens so it is not engaging.

a mechanic told me to check to see if there were dowels in each cam lobe and there are.

i put a new vtec solenoid on anyway and the thing it bolts on to and well vtec felt like it engaged for 1st gear because it pulled all the way till 10k but when i shifted to 2nd it didnt engage and never engaged since. i could have been mistaken but it never pulls past 7500 but that time it pulled hard till i shifted. I think i may have gotten crud in one of the oil passages or somehting??

i dunno im tired of trying so if you could help and give me some other suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Im going to install an oil pressure guage today so i know how much oil pressure im running.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I have had experience with, VTEC should engage in first gear, and remain engaged throughout all of the gears untill you let off? I say, When was the last time you had an oil change done? Also, if you want to try this, this is how I found out my vtec works, expose a little bit of the vtec solenoid wire, get a power probe, hook the power probe up to your battery, wrap a piece of wire onto the exposed VTEC solenoid wire and then get some one to ride with you. Go down the street, touch the "VTEC umm? supplementary wire, to the power probe and give it some power through out your gears" works everytime!! I have videos to prove it? http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...=646815032&n=2 ......check em out..it works nicely..
Old 04-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Boost is Better

well i have the ems and i can see that it is throwing 12v to the solenoid fine as it flashes VTEC when it engages but still i dont hear or feel it and it falls on its face around 7k. I know that the solenoid opens but something with the oil is not doing its job.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered member

WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E WALL-E

Lets just face it, your car is slow man, how about that k20 swap?

Quick Reply: Vtec pinout questions