Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

vtec doesnt pull, just hits and doesnt go....

Old 09-27-2009, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
therealone has disabled reputation
Default vtec doesnt pull, just hits and doesnt go....

i have a poor man type r i just got done rebuilding and i have a chipped ecu,
but when vtec hits its a smooth cross over, but doesnt pull like its spouse to. ive been told i need a tune b.c i have stg2 cams and that im not getting correct fuel sent out?

it does pull good from 1000rpm-5600rpm, then vtec just studdards and acts retarded...idk maybe yall do

btw no check engine. and i clean out the vtec solenoid

thanks

Last edited by therealone; 09-27-2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation
Default Re: vtec doesnt pull, just hits and doesnt go....

May be a dumb question, but is this your first time driving a car with vtec? Its not like hitting nos or anything you know...

just stating the obvious first, dont kill me haha
Old 09-27-2009, 08:08 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Did it have a greater effect to it before the rebuild?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:10 PM
The Douche is here

oodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these partsoodie is infamous around these parts

You need a tune on it. It will run like you expect it to.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:35 AM
1-877-TURBOKT

AdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud ofAdrenalineAuto has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by oodie
You need a tune on it. It will run like you expect it to.
I would have to agree. Also your cams may need to be degreed in, if it hasn't been done already.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you have a chipped ECU, the VTEC crossover RPM might be lower than stock, which will tend to make VTEC engage without as much drama. That isn't a bad thing. Stock VTEC engagement is fairly high RPM so it won't engage under normal conditions unless you purposely get up into that RPM range. What that means though is that the power drops off on the non-VTEC set of cam lobes, and then picks back up when the more aggressive VTEC cam lobes engage. Anyway, if you lower the engagement RPM, the non-VTEC power won't fall off as much before VTEC engages, so the transition doesn't feel as big. If VTEC engagement is set from low cam and high cam dyno graphs, it's possible to set it so that it's barely even perceptible.
That may have nothing at all to do with your problem, but it's a possible explanation if you already have a chipped ECU and don't know what the program modifications are.
Old 09-28-2009, 03:19 PM
RiverCitySyn

brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini brandini

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you have a chipped ECU, the VTEC crossover RPM might be lower than stock, which will tend to make VTEC engage without as much drama. That isn't a bad thing. Stock VTEC engagement is fairly high RPM so it won't engage under normal conditions unless you purposely get up into that RPM range. What that means though is that the power drops off on the non-VTEC set of cam lobes, and then picks back up when the more aggressive VTEC cam lobes engage. Anyway, if you lower the engagement RPM, the non-VTEC power won't fall off as much before VTEC engages, so the transition doesn't feel as big. If VTEC engagement is set from low cam and high cam dyno graphs, it's possible to set it so that it's barely even perceptible.
That may have nothing at all to do with your problem, but it's a possible explanation if you already have a chipped ECU and don't know what the program modifications are.
Well put.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

therealone has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by atmdc
May be a dumb question, but is this your first time driving a car with vtec? Its not like hitting nos or anything you know...

just stating the obvious first, dont kill me haha
no this is like my 20th, im just going to get it tuned, and see what happens

thanks Fabrik8 for your posts and knowledge about hondas is bery niceee... and much appreciated

any recomindations on injectors i can use with out a resistor box? i was thinking maybe like some type-s injectors?
Old 09-28-2009, 05:54 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

[QUOTE=Fabrik8;5677348]If VTEC engagement is set from low cam and high cam dyno graphs, it's possible to set it so that it's barely even perceptible.
[QUOTE]

Which is how it should be, on a properly tuned car it is barely even heard or felt if at all.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

What injectors are you using now; you're apparently not using 1992+ Honda injectors if you're using a resistor box...? That begs the question of why you're not using stock Honda injectors if you have a naturally aspirated engine with some slightly more aggressive cams..? You should have plenty of flow for that setup I'd imagine.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 09-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.

Quick Reply: vtec doesnt pull, just hits and doesnt go....