Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

voltage stabilizers and ground harnesses

Old 06-21-2006, 08:33 AM
AKA: SHY_GUY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy
Default voltage stabilizers and ground harnesses

are they worth the money??

i don't know anything about them, all i know is they say they would increase power, fuel economy etc..... but what doesn't? my headlights dim when my rpms change, would it help?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: voltage stabilizers and ground harnesses

Worthless. You don't need any of that stuff. There is no need for a voltage stabilizer, all of your electronics were designed to work properly over a fairly wide range of voltage. Ground harnesses can work OK on some cars if they have a crappy stock ground setup, but I wouldn't expect to see a useable power gain, and they're insanely expensive for the few dollars worth of wire and crimp lugs. I get my inspiration from serious race cars (and please don't mention drift racers, they're heavily used as marketing tools for street car parts), and for some funny reason I only see these overpriced voodoo gadgets on street cars.. Why is that? Marketing works..

You need to fix your stock electrical system, not put an expensive band-aid on it. If your headlights are dimming, you have a fairly simple power or ground problem most likely.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-21-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:53 PM
formerly si_zc_civic

fwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to beholdfwd_josh is a splendid one to behold

i don't remember who did it, but a mag. did a dyno test with a grounding kit and it made a little power, like 2-3 horses, and a few ft/lbs of torque. not really enough to justify spending that much. just go buy a distribution block and some power cable and make your own.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Just another thought to toss out there.. The magazine dyno tests that I've seen have had to really play around a lot with grounding locations, etc. Basically, if you want that 1 or 2 or 3 HP improvement, you're looking at a bit of dyno time to experiment. Again, not worth the money. There are much more productive ways to make that tiny amount of HP..
Old 06-25-2006, 10:41 AM

S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy S2K_Guy

yeah those are some of my feelings, but i wouldn't mind my lights staying at a constent brightness
Old 06-25-2006, 11:32 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

I would not waste the time or money on ground wires on a stock motor as Fabrik8 said. But a fully built motor with high cylinder pressures and an upgraded ignition system IMO would need a better ground than the single...small ass grounding strap that is on the transmisson bracket. I mean think about it...why would you dump a shit load of electricity into the cylinder head and have no place for it to go? Ever heard of "resistance"? Hell, that's the whole reason you would upgrade your ignition system in the first place!
I do not think that the dyno testing done in those mags are a fair comparision between a high HP motor and that of a stock motor with bolt-ins which was used in the duno tests. But once again as Fabrik8 said...it still waste dyno time to setup the correct ground wire configuration for best results.
As for the voltage stabilizers...why not? As marketing sees it, people will continue to buy shit for their cars just so they can add another name to the list of shit that does nothing to their cars.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Racetracks

There really isn't any reason to use a voltage stabilizer, all of your electronics and electrical system components are designed to work properly between 8 and 16 volts (or 9 and 15, depending on the spec), so unless you're shooting yourself in the foot by using a underdrive pulley on the alternator (please don't get me started) you don't need it. It's a lot of money for diminishing returns.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Is there an echo?

I think you misunderstood my sarcasm

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 06-25-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM

ok guys i was just wondering what was up with them, if they were worth the money, if they would help at all.

obviously its like everything else that promisses power for $35
Old 06-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Banned

shadows is an unknown quantity at this point

i dunno about power but i ordered the lineage ground kit and it did keep my voltage stable and i noticed improved idle.

dunno about omg horsepower and all that bs. nor can i speak for other kits.

the lineage kit made things smoother. that's all.

Quick Reply: voltage stabilizers and ground harnesses