Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

viper alarm?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:35 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these parts
Default viper alarm?

I bought a car with a viper alarm. I have a few questions.

what happens if the remote on my keychain breaks, can I still get into my car?

what if the battery dies in the remote, do I have to do anything special after I replace it?

what if I have to change the battery in my car, do I have to do anything special to reset the alarm so it will work again?

I have zero experience with car alarms and my fear is that I'll be stranded with my car unable to access it.

i guess i should try to see if using my key automatically disables the alarm and lets me start it, then I'll be good to go... but any info would be appreciated because I don't know anything about it and it's on my car.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 AM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: viper alarm?

different car alarms do different things, what functions do you have? take it to a car alarm shop to find out everything....
Old 12-29-2010, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

Depends if it's just an alarm or does it have keyless entry as well? Also, do it have a lojack installed?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered member

dcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these partsdcninja757 is infamous around these parts

its an alarm with keyless entry. no lojack.

this is the remote.
http://www.viper.com/P-7141V/Viper-4...acement-Remote

assuming i can get in and start the car fine with just the key... which I probably can I'll try it on my way to work today...

what happens if my battery dies on the remote and my alarm goes off? That's what I'm really concerned with.

Last edited by dcninja757; 12-29-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The alarm settings are usually stored in the alarm brain. I disconnect my battery cables all the time when working on the car and don't have any problems.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

Also, if you're really concerned with it then just go ahead and replace the battery now. It should just be one of those batteries like in a watch.
Although, if it does go out and you need to get in your car, just unlock it with the key and when the alarm goes off pop the hood and cut the alarm horn wire.

...wonder if the flashers would stay on.

Or, I think you could just unplug the harness (usually tucked up under the driver side dash).
Old 12-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Remote control battery isn't a problem. Just change the battery and you'll be good to go. Remote settings aren't usually stored in non-volatile memory because that requires a parasitic drain on the battery to work. Plus it's a lot nicer for the consumer if everything doesn't go to shit when you have to do something fairly common like replace a battery.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

rtfm
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
rtfm
LOL at telling the average male consumer to RTFM.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
LOL at telling the average male consumer to RTFM.
Well, I can tell you right now he hasn't, otherwise this thread would not be posted.

Cause the answer to his question is in the manual.

Quick Reply: viper alarm?