VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Vdub crew inside V. 1993 Cabriolet timing belt replacement. (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/vdub-crew-inside-v-1993-cabriolet-timing-belt-replacement-162868/)

Mongoose87 11-07-2006 07:59 AM

Vdub crew inside V. 1993 Cabriolet timing belt replacement.

How hard is it? Any special tools needed? A buddy of mine needs some work done and I'm trying to figure out if this is something I can accomplish myself. I have done timing belts before but have never worked on a VW. Also, he needs the waterpump replaced and the oil pan gasket is leaking pretty bad.

Mongoose87 11-08-2006 06:20 AM

Re: Vdub crew inside V. 1993 Cabriolet timing belt replacement.

:(

hondub 11-08-2006 10:47 AM

I changed all the coolant hoses, timing belt, painted some shit, thermostat, and water pump and housing on my 87 golf. took about 4 or 5 hours. i dont remember needing any special tools. i dont know how different a 93 is either but it cant be too much different.

Mongoose87 12-23-2006 07:24 AM

OK I'm at my wits end with this car... I put it all back together and the bitch won't run. I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, timing belt, and repaired the broken PCV system. It has spark and compression and I tore the front all back apart to ensure I had the timing set up right and it all seems kesher. I have the "O T" on the cam pointed straight up and the crankshaft sproket dot lined up with the dot on the distributor sprocket.

SKRAPE 12-23-2006 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Mongoose87 (Post 2695283)
OK I'm at my wits end with this car... I put it all back together and the bitch won't run. I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, timing belt, and repaired the broken PCV system. It has spark and compression and I tore the front all back apart to ensure I had the timing set up right and it all seems kesher. I have the "O T" on the cam pointed straight up and the crankshaft sproket dot lined up with the dot on the distributor sprocket.

timing is off... check it again... vw's are bad about that...

Mongoose87 12-23-2006 12:33 PM

Well after about an hour of searching the intraweb I found a VW timing belt guide that someone had made. Apparently the timing mark for the fucking crankshaft is on the fuckin flywheel. Neither Chiltons or Alldata made any mention of it. No wonder the Germans lost WWII. It runs now.

SKRAPE 12-23-2006 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mongoose87 (Post 2695777)
Well after about an hour of searching the intraweb I found a VW timing belt guide that someone had made. Apparently the timing mark for the fucking crankshaft is on the fuckin flywheel. Neither Chiltons or Alldata made any mention of it. No wonder the Germans lost WWII. It runs now.

a friend of mine had a hard ass time with the timing on a mk1 rabbit convert