Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Variable Geometry turbos

Old 03-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DMCS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Variable Geometry turbos

Does anyone know why these turbos are only used on diesel engines, and is it possible to be used on a gasoline engine?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:09 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT
Default Re: Variable Geometry turbos

i wish i knew.....only thing i could guess is because diesels run 40-50 psi all day long and they need to be able to hold there balancing specs for way longer than a normal turbo and still be efficient, that is a complete stab in the dark.......
Old 03-07-2005, 03:21 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

see the VNT used on the shelby's.

durability on a small compressor wheel was the main reason. the 6.0 powerstroke is the one main one that uses a variable turbo, and it is fuckin awesome at 45psi

(i love the fact that the last F550 i built took 2 grand, and it went up 138hp and 243ftlbs tq ) it will do a nice quad burnout too
Old 03-07-2005, 06:18 PM
i got 5 on it

themacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these partsthemacuser.org is infamous around these parts

I'm not sure about the old Dodges, but the modern Ford and Chevy diesel trucks both have ECU's to control the veins in the turbo, so I'm not sure how you'd go about controlling the veins in say.. a 240 or something.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Do you think it is possible to hook up a Vg turbo to a gasoline engine and connect it so you can manually control the vein position? If this is possible then i am certain it could be connected to a computer that also reads in engine speed, egt, and throttle postion, allowing you to tune the turbo.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
bearded warrior

keepit88 is on a distinguished road

It's been done on gasoline engines before like f735 said. Chrysler broke through with it in '89 on a shelby car, and there was also a VNT daytona and shadow that came equipped with it.

do a search on google for "chrysler VNT turbo" and read up
Old 03-08-2005, 12:36 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

anything can be done if you know what you are doing.

but have you ever priced a VNT turbo for a powerstroke? they aint cheap at all.

one of the reasons i am careful when doing a Banks install on any powerstroke.....
Old 03-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

oh sorry his post wasnt too clear, or i didnt really get what he was saying. yea ill do a search on that thanks.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
The Pro to call.

i can try to post a screenshot of how it works from ALLDATA (the software is written to not allow copy/paste functions) tomorrow, if wanted.

but the complexity is the main reason most people dont use them. cost is the other.

KISS.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:19 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I've heard that Merc Benz is using some VATN-type setup on a few of their cars, but that may be pure rumor. I'll hopefully be getting a chance to play with a VATN setup this fall on a gas engine, though it isn't on a car.
Long story short, they are expensive as hell, both from materials/manufacturing and the associated electronics to control them. You could do a manual vane control most likely, but it would probably suck because it wouldn't take load vs. RPM into account and do the predictive turbine speed overshoot/undershoot at all.. It would work about as well as manually controlling an entire modern EFI engine's worth of sensors, injectors, etc. Just from what I've read, there are a lot of control logistics that are taken into account and handled by the controller; this isn't as simple as changing an aperature size depending on engine speed..

Quick Reply: Variable Geometry turbos