Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Vacuum Leak?

Old 04-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Hellafunctional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93
Default Vacuum Leak?

Well, I finally got my car up and running after the clutch install from hell. In the past 2 months I have changed the oil, spark plugs, and the clutch. This is the first (not literally this video) time it's been started and still hasn't hit the road yet. Any ideas on what this could be?

Some info on the car:
2002 Subaru WRX, some bolt ons, 67k miles on her.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qY1I...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Vacuum Leak?

Odd behavior. Make sure all your sensors are plugged in. That's something I would expect from not having a MAS plugged in.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Almost sounds like a coil pack is damaged or has a mis-seated connector. Doesn't sound like it's running on all cylinders, but it's hard to tell from the video.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Hellafunctional

Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Almost sounds like a coil pack is damaged or has a mis-seated connector. Doesn't sound like it's running on all cylinders, but it's hard to tell from the video.
I was worried something like that, but I got it figured out. I had the MAF sensor backwards, runs perfect now.

Last edited by Garrett93; 04-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

MAF installed backwards is almost the same as a MAS unplugged..... I'm gonna score that as a win for me. :-p
Old 04-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Banned

FatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these partsFatDakLove is infamous around these parts

huh, that's news to me, I know Nissan's only have one way you can clip the wires to the sensors. That way you avoid hooking shit up backwards.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 AM
Registered Member

I believe he installed the MAF into the piping backwards. So the MAF was reading that air was being drawn OUT of the engine; that is if the ECU is programmed for a negative value on this input, if not it would fluctuate around 0. I know on at least a few vehicles this is possible. Since both ends are the same size, putting the MAF in backwards is easy. It's also the reason arrows are stamped into the side of the MAF. A good example of this is the GM MAF.

A good rule of thumb is that the honey comb will ALWAYS face away from the engine (or towards the air intake). The purpose of the honey comb is so that the air comes through the sensor in straight columns or stacks..... also the reason why Tornados do nothing for your car but obstruct airflow. That whirling tunnel of air is going to get sorted out when it hits the MAF/MAS anyway.

Last edited by laserspeeddemon; 04-03-2012 at 04:30 AM.