Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

VA State Inspection Question

Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Uno Mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone
Default VA State Inspection Question

My question is regarding the clutch pedal position switch. The vehicle (1996 Honda Civic, manual transmission) does not currently have the CPPS in operation, due to a remote start that was formerly installed. This means the vehicle can be started without having to push down the clutch pedal.

Will this cause a vehicle to fail VA State Inspection?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM
HNIC

Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker. Joker.
Default Re: VA State Inspection Question

I'm 99% sure I've never had an inspection station try to start the vehicle without pushing the clutch down.

You should be fine.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Too late. It was one of two items on my fail list. The first thing (torn steering rack boots) I understand. This one I did not, nor have I ever heard of it being a requirement.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:22 PM
HNIC

Weird, hell where I use to go on route 17 they let me drive into the bay and I never turned my car off.

It really depends on where you go I guess.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

00_civic757 has disabled reputation

thats weird that they failed u for ur CPPS because some of the new toyota trucks with 5 or 6 speed manual trannys have a button by the steering wheel to disable the CPPS.....
Old 04-02-2012, 08:37 PM
N2OWNED

99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula 99formula

Originally Posted by Joker.
Weird, hell where I use to go on route 17 they let me drive into the bay and I never turned my car off.

It really depends on where you go I guess.
That's super illegal. They have to scrape the sticker before driving the car into the bay themselves
Old 04-02-2012, 09:08 PM
HNIC

Originally Posted by 99formula
That's super illegal. They have to scrape the sticker before driving the car into the bay themselves
I have NEVER had them do that anywhere.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:15 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by 99formula
that a shop insurance thing and likely their policy, not law.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:50 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
that a shop insurance thing and likely their policy, not law.
No first thing the book says is to scrape the sticker off before checking anything else. If you pass the test the trooper comes out and watches you do an inspection. If you don't scrape the sticker off at the very beginning he won't give you the license.

op: the rack boot is understandable. But the switch is kind of ridiculous. Take it somewhere else if you don't mind spending $16 again.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

laserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these partslaserspeeddemon is infamous around these parts

As GATOR mentioned, there is a documented process to inspecting a car in Virginia (Digitnal4N6, you should know ALL about documented processes being in the IT world). However also as mentioned above, many shops do not follow that process. It's usually the persons that just got out of the training class or noobs that do that. Eventually they all just do the bare minimal to rush cars in and out in order to do more cars in a day to make more money.

To the OP, disabling the CPPS is as unplugging the harness from the switch (hopefully they didn't cut it). There should be two. One is to start the car which is depressed when the clutch is pressed all the way down. The other is for the cruise control (if your car is equipped with cruise control) which is depressed when the pedal is all the way up.

If you can, plug in the harness back in and test the CPPS function.

Last edited by laserspeeddemon; 04-03-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Quick Reply: VA State Inspection Question